Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

If your tanks only been up for a week, those coral and CUC were nothing more than a waste of money. The fish you had that have already died are proof of that. IMO, the bacteria in a bottle is nothing more than a waste of money as well. Sure, it may speed up the cycle, but not make it all set in a week, especially for corals. If I were you, I'd return the fish and coral and cleaner shrimp. Snails and hermits MIGHT be ok, but that's a lot of stress for them with the param spikes

But it appears you don't really want to do it right and take your time if you've already been informed, so I hope I'm not wasting my time.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Im saying, if i use live fish to cause bacteria that eats up what killed it in the first place, and save the future fish. Then I could have the corals decompose or die off and the bacteria formed would keep future corals happy!! Am i thinking straight? Also, should i invest in EcoSystems Pro Series Hang in Back Pro60 Wet/dry Filter? It has a modified CPR protein skimmer back pack

Old 10-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazwaz
I am good man, the bio bacteria will help the nitrates get lower. We can all beat thy cycle if we believe together!
Bottled bacteria, IF the batch you got was any good and wasnt exposed to heat or cold during shipping will speed up the cycling process, which would in turn RAISE nitrates not lower them.

You need to test daily for ammonia and continously perform water changes with ro/di salt water since you've decided to fish in cycle the tank. Even with the bottled bacteria and live rock you will inevitably have an ammonia spike causing your fish to suffer a painful death.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've used one the bacteria bottles and maybe I'm a special case but it worked for me cycle was about a week tested water everyday and saw all the steps of a cycle and even had my lfs test it a few times
Old 10-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah...ive gotta step in and say I've used the bottled bacteria as well and all three times my cycle was about a week, or less. I used Dr Tims, which to me seems different than the typical store bought stuff. Public aquariums with what I assume are experts use this stuff.

As far as this post...sure seems like advice is not being taken seriously, so I won't waste much time...No, buying corals to let die is not a good idea. A couple fish might be okay, more than that will likely overload the bottled bacteria and cause problems. Moving way too fast IMO.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea agreed even though I used the stuff still waited like two weeks for my first fish which was a damsel and like 3 months for corals...slow down and tank will flourish go fast and no bueno haha
Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree it speeds up but it cant reach a proper balance instantly, hence the need fo r daily testing and water changes if needed
Old 10-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

I got these snail like things coming from one of my live rocks. Is this a good snail?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-58964324.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	122277
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-146990691.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	122278  
Old 10-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Not the big turbo snail obviously, the small brown and red dot one
Old 10-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Bump! Please tell me what that small snail thing is

Tags
updated

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com