Upgrade advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah cool that makes sense. I'm sure I'll think of more questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Any opinions on a refugium? The stock sump has a space for a refugium

I'll have to google the scrubber, not something I've ever seen. Once the upgrade is mature, will the fuge be a good place to grow pods for a mandarin?

Anywhere that can grow algae can support a pod population. That said, it has to be a huge amount of pods being produced to support a mandarin. I wasn't able to do it. I was lucky and got a mandarin that ate mysis. Was only able to keep it for a year and a half.

Yeah I thought as much. I'll probably skip the Mandarin in that case. There seems to be very different accepted fish rules in the UK. I've been told in 3 different LFS that a tang would be good in a 40

Not different accepted...simply the same misinformed or simply looking to make a buck. That said, there ARE tang, the kole specifically, that will be ok in a 55-75 gallon tank.

Yeah I guess you're right. The new tank I'm looking at is a 70 gallon so a Kole tang would be an interesting addition

I have been researching sumps and some of the ones I've seen have amazed me just how intricate and detailed they are. My new tank is reef ready and does not have the emergency overflow (if I drill it, I invalidate the warranty) This has raised a few more questions.

1) some people have said they have overflows that make a lot of noise, how can I keep it quiet?

2) can I have a simple plumbing set up with pipe work leading to the sump with a filter sock, flow in to the refugium and then leave after passing through a skimmer in the last chamber via a pump?

Sure, though you'd want the skimmer in the first section to try to process as much out of the water column as possible. Sumps can be simple.
In terms of keeping an overflow quiet, it all depends on if it is sucking air or not.

Thanks, I'll make sure the skimmer is in the first chamber. Makes perfect sense. Is there anyway to prevent the sucking? I've read that some people have soft tubing for the last part of the overflow and this has helped them apparently

Another silly question. How do you stop the flow of the sump spilling over in the main display? Does that make sense?

Your return should match the overflow with a ball valve on it. There shouldn't be any issues of overflowing ever unless using a HOB overflow and siphon loss occurs. With proper planning, it won't cause an issue. A small enough return chamber and it will empty without overflowing. But, as previously mentioned, if they are matched there won't be an issue.

Right I see thanks. I've ordered ball valves and should have the tank soon. Sorry for the dumb questions lol

New tank ordered!!

Thanks, can't wait! It's a clear seal reefspace 900. It's similar to the TMC 90 but thicker glass. I'll start a build thread when it arrives as I've not seen one them on here

Back
Top Bottom