Upgrade advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adamski

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have spent today upgrading my tank. This is easily the most stressful thing I have done in years. My old tank is gone and the new tank is in the same place but has a sump, and 35 gallons extra.

I have now hit a problem. The new tank is taking forever to heat up (even thou I'm using two heaters) My 4 fish are in a large barrel with a heater and a small pump. How long can they stay in there? It's now nearly 2 AM and I'm running out of steam

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As long as there's room for every one in the bucket, there's plenty of oxygen, and no fighting I would say they could be there all night. What temp is the tank at and what temp are you trying to heat it to? Along with type of fish

It's currently 65.4 but I need it at 77. There's a diamond goby, a pyjama Cardinal and two clowns. They are good together and never fight

Didn't notice this was saltwater. I'm out of my realm. Disregard anything I have said lol

Both 300W, I didn't think it would take this long!

I left it overnight and it eventually made its way up to the right level and has thankfully remained there! The fish were alive and well in their temporary home but were glad to move!

Has anyone ever used filter floss/wool in their sump rather than filter socks? I've stuck some between the baffles of my sump before the return and it works really well

Will the same media not get trapped in the foam?

I was wondering if there was a more efficient system. Filter socks needing changing a few times a week and washing versus a really fine foam that traps junk and can just be taken out and thrown away

Filter socks are generally easy to reach and change out. Floss in the bottom of the sump will require you to dunk your whole arm in. Also, rinsing the socks out or throwing them in the washing machine is pretty easy. That foam you speak of will eventually stop water from passing through it if you skip maintenance...filter socks simply overflow.
the sock will stop detritus before it hits the sump. Your floss idea will allow the first chamber to get pretty dirty and need cleaning regularly.

That answers that question then! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom