Upgrade is REALLY on this time 55-120

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdaniel2882

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Who would have thought that unemployment comp does not pay for all your bills and a tank upgrade.... Anyway after mowing a few lawns (yes I am a lawn boy at 39.) we are back in business. In review here is what we are starting with.

Attachments

• 0920091325-02.jpg
    0920091325-02.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 249
Last edited by a moderator:
And we are going to this. 60x18x25 old oceanic tank. 2 overflows 1/2 inch glass.

Attachments

• DSC_0084.jpg
    DSC_0084.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 111
It must be black and I am not going to go with the top heavy canopy. went with gloss black which looks fantastic but satin would have matched better. I like the look so I guess it is back to more lawns for gloss tables in my living room:p

Attachments

• CAM_2748.JPG
    CAM_2748.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 99
Looks good. I like the gloss black.

I have only one tank with a canopy and it is a pain for water changes. However I need it on that tank to keep my cats out.

Major progress...I will post pictures tomorrow if I can pry the camera from my little boy's hands.

quick question...I just got a FREE RKE hand me down and was wondering what type of dosing pump I should get. everything I see is $100 +

Here are some parts. I posted these before but there they are again for review.

First is the Stand pipes for the overflow. It helps to reduce noise if you oversize them. these are 1.25" into a 1" bulkhead.

Attachments

• CAM_2749.JPG
    CAM_2749.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 91
****!!!! Aparently I had a camera malfunction. (I came home to my 3 year old with my camera) I have lost ALL my setup pictures. I am not finished yet but the tank is up and running. I will take some pictures of where I am out and start from there.

BTW I just ordered 2 Aqua Illumination LED fixtures and a profilux plus II controler.

see this thread

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/aqua-illumnation-and-profilux-omg-134906.html

Here are the pics of my plumbing installed. 1" drain 3/4" return. I used full union ball valves for the drains and placed a couple of unions in the lines at what I felt like were critical places. I need to get some sechedule 80 bulkheads cause that is what the holes are drilled for. It took some work to keep the regular ones from leaking. All is good but it worries me.

Attachments

• CAM_2972.JPG
    CAM_2972.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 91
  • CAM_2971.JPG
    CAM_2971.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 75
  • CAM_2974.JPG
    CAM_2974.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 90
  • CAM_2975.JPG
    CAM_2975.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 92
I took a class at home depot to learn basic wiring. I eventually want the inside of the stand to have a finished look. this is my first attempt. my pump and protien skimmer are on their own switch and my lights are on a timer that controls 2 outlets in the first pic. The lights are plugged in below for now cause the timer is a piece of .... The top switch is a master that kills everything. The second pic is the other end of the stand. My powerheads are pluged in through a switch that controls 4 outlets. The other 4 are on as long as the master is on. This will all be redone cause I decided to get a profilux controler and the aquaillumination leds and it looks like S*** now. It will be much more finished when I am done. This is ALOT cheaper than buying powerstrips with switches and timers and such and will look great when finished. plus it gives you the controls you want.

Attachments

• CAM_2979.JPG
    CAM_2979.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 82
  • CAM_2980.JPG
    CAM_2980.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 86
looks real good! How did you wire it? Is there wires from wall? Or is it a split cord?

Now for my super ghetto sump. The good thing is it didn't cost me anything and the filter sock prevents bubbles in the sump. Don't worry, this is VERY temporary It will be replaced after the lights. it does the job for now but. I needed to get this thing up cause I was getting compaints about the tank sitting in the formal living room cycling live rock for 2 months;) I don't know why.

Pic 1 - Yes my filter sock is held just below the rim of the sump with tie wraps. That is my Sicce 5.0 pump in the bottom right corner. It flows 1300 GPH but is far from silent. I would not recommend this pump in applications where noise is an issue. If I had it to do over again I would have gone with 2 mag 7's
Pic 2 - Yes that is what I call now a HOS (hang on sump) octopus skimmer. It works well and pulls some nasty stuff out of the H20 I had to rig an extension on the skimmer intake cause it has metric PVC and all I had was English. It is amazing what you can do with teflon tape

Attachments

• CAM_2976.JPG
    CAM_2976.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 64
  • CAM_2981.JPG
    CAM_2981.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 78
looks real good! How did you wire it? Is there wires from wall? Or is it a split cord?

It is wired from the wall. It is a separate 20 amp breaker. this is version 1.0. I have alot of work to do but I REALLY like the idea and versatility.

Back
Top Bottom