Upgrade size question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hookman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55gal about 4.5 yrs old. I have 4x65 watt PC, LR, aqua-c remora skimmer. I only have a frogspawn, rock anemone, and a small colony of zoos. I have a black occelaris, neon goby, spotted mandarin, and a PB tang. I am interested in upsizing because my tang is growing and I would like to give him more room. I want to use my existing equipment and just swap out my tank. I looked into a 75 and 90 gal. A 90 is only 80 bucks more, same dimensions but 3 inches taller. I am on a tight budget, and figure I would need to upgrade the filtration if I were to get a 90, I would also have to upgrade the lighting at some point. Any ideas or advice appreciated!

For the sake of the tang I would go to a 125 gallon tank. Tangs need plenty of swimming room and a 6 ft tank would be great for them. I know folks that keep them in a 120 which even though it`s not 6 feet it does have extra height. IMO I would go with either of these.

Get the biggest you can afford. Difference between a 75 and a 90 would be marginal on lighting and even filtration. Not sure if you use LR but could easily add a few more lbs. I kept a yellow tang in a 75 for almost 3 yrs. He has a 180 now ...

I have a yellow and sailfin which have not reached their maximum size in a 120g tank which is 4' long. The tangs do like to swim and I know one day they will need the extra 2' a 6' tank would provide. They continually swim back and forth through the length of the tank. When the time comes I will either upgrade to the 125 (6' long) or more likely sell or trade the tangs.

Back
Top Bottom