Upgrade Time (125 gal Freshwater to Saltwater)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It Probably boils down to " there's more than one way to skin a cat " ( weird saying ) ,.. but whatever works for for you and your system as long as it doesn't leak will prob be just fine ,... hard plumbing with pvc would prob be the strongest but depending on your application maybe a flexible tube may be better going around corners etc ....jmho

Thanks Dary. Your right there is more than one way to skin a cat. That is a weird saying but I have used it many times before. That's why I ask the questions to find out what other reefers are doing. I find it very interesting to hear about the different ways you all do things with your setups.

On my particular application I have my return pump ( mag 12 ) hard plumbed from the pump to the ck valve from there I run flexible hoses to my chiller and from the chiller back up to the tank with the same flexible hose

I hated flex tube. Didn't hang right and water would collect. PVC is easy and cheap to get exactly what you want.

Thanks Hank. I think I agree with you. Although I did use it when my tank was freshwater I think salt would build up in the hose and with pvc I don't think that will happen considering the slickness of the pvc pipe. I've never seen the salt build up in the pvc in my other tanks.

I've had the flex tubing on my 90 gallon reef for 4.5 years with zero salt buildup. I think it's a matter of preference but I haven't had any issues using it on salt set ups. Like I said previously, I'm running flex tubing on two reefs at the moment.

Some flex hoses have the ridges in them, some are smooth inside and out. I could see the ridged ones possibly collecting stuff over time, but not the smooth ones. However, the smooth ones are usually stiff and like 54seaweed said, the coils (from being on a roll) really never come out. Also you want to avoid clear flex hoses as they can grow algae inside of them if any light hits them. You will be fine with either route, though I would personally avoid anything that wasn't smooth.

Thank you all so much. I appreciate everyone sharing your methods of plumbing your tanks.

Sean it's good to know that flex hose doesn't build up salt. Do you use the smooth flex hose on your tanks?

Dary thanks so much for sharing your method.

Paul I can see where the salt can build up in the little crevices of the coiled hose. That's why I like to ask others about their experiences.

I'm still on the fence on which way to go. Flex hose is so much easier to hook up. But I also understand the benefits of using pvc. Maybe I'll do a combination of the two.

My 40 & 29 gallon tanks are setup with pvc and I really do like it. I did have a issue on the 40 gal where the back of my bulkhead at the overflow box loosened up a bit and was causing some leaking. I guess I should have caulked around it like I did with the 29 gal.

This new tank is plumbed as a durso although both holes are 1" on the bottom which would allow me to set it up as a herbie style overflow but I think I will do a little test and run water through it with the durso plumbing and flex hose. Vince at the lfs said that they have improved the durso and it's suppose to be really quiet now. We will see.

is that a aluminum frame is there a way of making a access door , I like the neat look . wonder how it would hold up to salt

It is aluminum Sean. I have one on my 40 gallon and the salt does build up on the bird netting that I use but I just rinse it off every now and then.

Ok I decided to use a combination of pvc and the flex hose that I already have on hand.

I started dry fitting my return pieces coming from the bulkhead.

IMG_0481.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 60
It is aluminum Sean. I have one on my 40 gallon and the salt does build up on the bird netting that I use but I just rinse it off every now and then.

I'll have to try it sometime in the near future , the egg crate turns yellow over time . I like it because I was able to make access doors , but I'm sure if I mess with the aluminum frame some I could come up with something ,

now that the hardest part of the plumbing is done you should have smooth sailing with the rest ,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom