Upgrade Time (125 gal Freshwater to Saltwater)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have " access doors" on both my egg crate covers ,... makes it nice to be able to open a little door to feed ,grab things out of the tank etc without having to remove the whole cover

I use them during maintenance water change , feeding adding or removing stuff , like dary mentioned they do come in handy once you have one you will see how easy it is to do maintenance ,
think I figured out a good way of doing it make the frame front to back 4inch smaller than make a separate section for the access hatch 3 13/16 inch to allow for some type of hing , I always liked how the vinyl hing from versa top works , maybe use some of that ,

That sounds like a good idea Seaweed. I think it would be cool to do one on both sides. So you would have the piece in the middle and a hinged section on both sides.

I think I will change mine to incorporate that idea. Thanks Seaweed.

I have my glass tops from my old tank. I can use the vinyl hinge from those. I would have to glue the hinge onto the aluminum frame. I guess aquarium glue would work.

just glue the hing to both sections of the frame

both these older tops had the access doors like we mentioned above and
this should give you a idea on how to use the vinyl hing , this was one of my first tops I made egg crate with glass lid attached with vinyl hing
I don't see why this very same method wouldn't work on the metal frame
img_3398635_0_a556f1867e3a5d6a005ed6a6319a5d08.jpg

this one was just egg crate with a door cut out hinged by zip ties eventually I changed it to the vinyl hing crazy glue works on everything ,
img_3398635_1_228702a9abbdca1ff7727c60d23bcfb2.jpg

but that metal frame would work even better with the vinyl hing , I love tinkering with things till they work , I hope this helps you see the doors and gives you ideas for the framework ,
Save

wow you did a nice job on that .
looking at the frame I don't see why both sections couldn't have hing glued to top of frame

Last edited:
I would be weary the tape wouldn't stay adhered as there will be moisture involved , I just ordered a screen framing kit online just got to go to store to pick it up , now I need to figure a way of putting a center brace on my 40b so I can do this in 2 sections . otherwise I'll get a sage in the middle over that 3ft span .

I decided this last night when my baby green coris wrasse jumped through the egg crate, he's lucky I saw him jump I was able to save him he's about a 1/2 inch in size so he was hiding in the rocks quite a while as I never knew he was there ,

he was born in my tank my green coris wrasse must have mated with my red coris wrasse funny part I never knew she was pregnant haven't seen any other little ones they may still be hiding or they were lunch , I read it's not very common to breed wrasses in home aquariums so this was a surprise.

Last edited:
I would be weary the tape wouldn't stay adhered as there will be moisture involved , I just ordered a screen framing kit online just got to go to store to pick it up , now I need to figure a way of putting a center brace on my 40b so I can do this in 2 sections . otherwise I'll get a sage in the middle over that 3ft span .

I decided this last night when my baby green coris wrasse jumped through the egg crate, he's lucky I saw him jump I was able to save him he's about a 1/2 inch in size so he was hiding in the rocks quite a while as I never knew he was there ,

he was born in my tank my green coris wrasse must have mated with my red coris wrasse funny part I never knew she was pregnant haven't seen any other little ones they may still be hiding or they were lunch , I read it's not very common to breed wrasses in home aquariums so this was a surprise.

That is nice to have your fish breeding like that. That's a good sign that your environment is good. Take a picture of the little guy if you see him again.

My tank I made my first screen for is also a 40B. It is a little flimsy when I take it off but not to bad. I'm sure you will come up with something to use as a brace.

Back
Top Bottom