Upgrade Time (125 gal Freshwater to Saltwater)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finish putting the bird netting in the frames.

Attachments

• IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0499.jpg
    IMG_0499.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 83
That is nice to have your fish breeding like that. That's a good sign that your environment is good. Take a picture of the little guy if you see him again.

look who decided to play peek-a-boo
F8r99nq.jpg

he looks awesome under the blues .
that netting what size are the squares about 3/8 like the egg crate .
definitely gives it a more open look ,

he looks awesome under the blues .
that netting what size are the squares about 3/8 like the egg crate .
definitely gives it a more open look ,

The squares are about 3/4". I haven't had any fish jump out on my 40 gallon that has the same netting. You have a small baby wrasse though that might fit through there. If you are worried I would go with the netting Paul suggested.

You did a great job on the tops! However, dont expect that bird netting to hold in a wrasse, dartfish, or any fish for that matter. If the head fits, the fish fits. It's certainly better than nothing, and will probably work good for larger fish. Though certainly more pricey, BRS has some top of the line screen available in 1/8" and 1/4'. It still usually ends up cheaper than the fish you probably would've lost.

Thanks Paul. I may check out that BRS netting. I have some small wrasses coming this week and I don't want to loose them. I will have to keep them in the social acclimation box until I decide what to do.

yes I will have to look into the smaller hole netting no doubt slowly all my RFN are reappearing they went into hiding till all the baby's floated out of the caves now I need to figure out where there hiding , really weird things going on in this tank lol nothing bad just weird

Here's what I have on my tank ,on one side I made it a two way door,...a small door for doing little things and then a larger door that folds back for tank cleaning etc and just a single door on the other side IMG_0630.JPGIMG_0625.JPGIMG_0627.JPGIMG_0613.JPG

Great minds think alike mine is exactly like that , the only thing I don't like is how it yellowed over time ,
than I saw the metal frame with the netting b is using and ordered a kit ,

this morn my saddle wrasse decided to jump the egg crate stopped him but he was still lodged in one of the squares , it was like surgery cutting him out but he seems to be ok otherwise. he was lodged by his gills I thought for sure he was a goner , glad I came up to turn on the lights when I did.

can't wait for the kit to get here as this could have been prevented he would have hit the screen and bounced back down into the tank .

I learned my lesson years ago when my first fish I put into my tank ( trigger ) jump out and was found dead ,... I opted for the egg crate because I can leave cleaning utensils etc on it and not worry about it sagging due to the weight ,it's almost like an extra shelf ,.also I just like how easy it is to alter with doors and zip ties re. yellowing ... my crates have been up for years with no yellowing ,btw you can also get the crates in black via brs

Egg crate works very well as long as your fish are large enough not to fit. I used it (with fish that could fit) for years until I upgraded to the screen. I only lost a few fish due to jumping, and it was always a bummer to find a favorite dried on the floor. I do remember the the egg crate being handy for sitting things down. Especially while your hands are in the tank. I seem to always use my overflow box as a shelf in needed for things like a food cup, bone cutters, etc. Here is a photo of my screen top. I would have preferred the 1/4", but my buddy had some 1/8' on hand. Shouldn't anything be getting through.

SiWIUbC.jpg

Watching along on these screens, is that 1/8" stainless or what??

Its not metal, its a clear netting that allows 99% of light in. Not sure on the material. Some type of polymer, feels kinda like fishing line.

Here's what I have on my tank ,on one side I made it a two way door,...a small door for doing little things and then a larger door that folds back for tank cleaning etc and just a single door on the other side View attachment 292717View attachment 292718View attachment 292719View attachment 292720

That looks nice Dary. I had some egg crate on my 29 and 20 gallons when I had them at work. The only thing I didn't like is it would get dirty over time with salt buildup and splashing water and they are a pain to clean.

Great minds think alike mine is exactly like that , the only thing I don't like is how it yellowed over time ,
than I saw the metal frame with the netting b is using and ordered a kit ,

this morn my saddle wrasse decided to jump the egg crate stopped him but he was still lodged in one of the squares , it was like surgery cutting him out but he seems to be ok otherwise. he was lodged by his gills I thought for sure he was a goner , glad I came up to turn on the lights when I did.

can't wait for the kit to get here as this could have been prevented he would have hit the screen and bounced back down into the tank .

Oh my Seaweed you lucked out finding the little guy when you did. I hope he is going to be ok.

Back
Top Bottom