Upgrade Time (125 gal Freshwater to Saltwater)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Dary. I already have the two 20 gallon long tanks. Will drill them and connect them with bulkheads. I like the idea of the two 20's because it will give me a lot of room for equipment without be too snug.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

On my 135 I have a acrylic 45 gal sump but in hindsight I wish I would have used my old 75 gal tank instead ,....of course I have a lot of junk to put in there too :-/ ,... Those sumps get pretty crowded pretty quickly :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yea i know you are familiar with a sump full of equipment. Unfortinately i am limuted by the size of my cabinet. I wish i could go bigger on the sump but all in all i hope the two 20's will work out.

I am taking two angels to work and giving them to a co-worker tomorrow for his 55 gallon. He only has guppies right now. Im keeping two angels andcacfew smaller fish. Thecrest im going to see if i can take up to petco for credit. Then 8 can start cleaning this tank out.

Well good news. My co-worker is going to buy the rest of my freshwater fish from me. Hopefuly I will be able to start cleaning the tank out by next weekend.

As usual.., it sounds like you have everything under control :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok im thinking ahead a little about equipment specifically a skimmer for this transformation. I want to eventually have some sps in this tank so I want a really good skimmer.

Next thing is when i bought this tank it was set up with the durso standpipe plumbing. I would like to do the same setup that I have in my 40 gallon which is the herbie overflow design. The only problem is that the holes are drilled in the bottom of the tank. I guess i coukd caps those off and drill holes at the top behind the overflow boxes.

Could you more experienced reefers chime in and give your opnions on the best way to go about this. :)

Reef octopus always gets high marks, and seems like the most popular option. I have an aqua c and so far am disappointed in the skimmate production. Those newer skimz on brs look good, but pricey. I can't comment on the overflow mod but your initial cap off idea sounds practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I run an ASM and have had really good luck with them. Actually have one on my 90 and 180.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well i didn't get to clean out my tank this weekend. My co-worker thats buying my stock from me had a death in the family so i told him i would bring the fish into him this week. If all goes well i will be cleaning the tank out this coming weekend. I have to buy the wood to replace the bottom piece in my cabinet. I was thinking about getting something more water resistant or wster proof lke teak or one similar.

Just a little update. Im slowly taking fish in to my co-worker. I took in 4 on Friday and i am planning on taking in some more this week. I am hoping to get them all out of the tank within the next two weeks. Fingers crossed.

The fish were hiding from ne and hard to catch so I spent almost 5 hours pulling out my anubias and other small plants. Cleaned up a lot of plant debri and there still more in there. Did a 50% water change. I just have my huge mother amazon sword and another large plant some rocks, drift wood and a few fish left that I need to catch. Its coming along slowly.

Well this week i plan on taking the rest of the fish in to my co-worker. I will start cleaning the tank out this weekend.

Ok things didn't work out as planned. I discovered that two of the Angels that I was going to take in to my co-worker were not doing so well. One has pop-pop eye and the other has skin flukes. So i am currently treating them for those illnesses. That of course is delaying everything moving forward. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom