Upgrade Time (125 gal Freshwater to Saltwater)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So how long after the tank cycles can I start putting in corals? Just wondering.

BArb, realistically, you could prob get away with some colt coral, Xenia or mushrooms or something like that BUT,...for anything that you really want to keep I'd wait a few months to let your tank mature and do it's own thing ,..( think of it like aging red wine ) . years ago a representative at live aquaria I believe, told me to wait 6-8 months before adding anything that you really wanna keep alive especially sps

Barb,.....,realistically , you could prob get away with some colt coral, Xenia or mushrooms or something like that BUT,...for anything that you really want to keep I'd wait a few months to let your tank mature and do it's own thing ,..( think of it like aging red wine ) . years ago a representative at live aquaria I believe, told me to wait 6-8 months before adding anything that you really wanna keep alive especially sps,.. prob not what you wanted to hear but ,...slow and easy !! ]

No that's ok Dary. I want to do this right so that's why I asked. I don't want to jump in with both feet and end up killing everything. I don't mind taking it slow.[emoji225]

Barb ,...you seem so methodical in your approach to this setup and that'll pay dividends down the road,...most people are in such a hurry to start adding high price corals,...99% of the time it's a bad move ,..you just got to let your tank stabilize and mature,..most folks have a hard time grasping this concept ,...after a few months slowly start adding one here and there , soon enough you'll have a tankful and your tank will be very healthy and stable ,... baby steps !!!

Thank you Dary. I want to have a beautiful tank and if that means I go slow and take baby steps then that's what I am going to do.[emoji225]

I agree with Dary holding off on the corals till the tank matures some , I remember starting my first tank adding corals from the start big mistake , Just to get hit with the ugly faze the horrible silicate/cayno war , I must have went through a 1/2 dozen tooth brushes ,
once you get past the ugly faze should be smooth sailing from there.

I have had the unit since August 2014. Its rated at 75 gallons per day. I wasn't making that much though. I don't know how many gallons total that I have gotten out of it.

Also keep in mind many of the cheaper, easier to get larger colonies are really the weeds of SW so choose carefully to make see you end up with the vision you want for the next generation of time for your reef.

Back
Top Bottom