Upgrade Time (125 gal Freshwater to Saltwater)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just wanna make sure your new pump isn't pumping water back into your main tank faster than your sump fills from your overflows ,.. I think any kind of a valve will do ., prob only have to adjust it once ,... if your pump is a adjustable D.C. Pump than you may not need a valve but I'd put one in anyway

Ok Dary thank you. I will follow your advice and put a valve on there. I will try to connect it before the Y fitting though so I don't have to use two valves.

Can I use a pvc Tee connector instead of a Y connector? Or is it better to use a Y?

It would prob be better to install a 'y' simply because there's no real angles that the water has to try and flow thru , but,..I would imagine that as long as your pump is strong enough it should push the water thru without too much of an issue , there's a possibility that one side may get a little more flow than the other but in the long run I'm sure it would balance itself out

Thanks Dary. After giving it some thought I do think the Y fitting would be best also. I couldn't find any locally so I ordered two different ones. One of them
Is a plastic Y and the other is a pvc Y. I will see which one will work the best.

Nice ,... thinking ahead by having 3 separate little ecosystems ,..makes for easier maintenance

Looks good. Are you going bare bottom on the tank? I forget if you mentioned that it not.

I have been considering going bare bottom but I like the look of sand. If I do decide to go with the sand it's probably only going to be about a inch.

I received one of my Y fittings. The other one is suppose to be delivered today also. Here is the one that I received.

Attachments

• IMG_0803.JPG
    IMG_0803.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0804.JPG
    IMG_0804.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 44
I love the 3 mountains look have you thought about any bridges they add more area to put coral ,
when I did mine I started out with 2 mountains and added a bridge I loved it.
img_3418414_0_ee8c1207f1345388af46549f6fe30331.jpg

than after a while I added a 3rd mountain on the bridge the fish love it,
maybe can get some ideas , the scaping of the tank is the most fun there are so many different ways to do it , when I first done mine I must have changed it about a 100 times I just couldn't get to the point where I liked it.
those 3 mountains you have give me the volcanic vibe be neat to get some orange blown glass and make lava , I know I just let my imagination run .:D

Save
Save
Save
Save

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
When I originally setup my tank I had the same initial setup with the three peaks ,but over the years everything grew up around it and now if you use your imagination just a little you can still see the three peaks buried under the coral underbrush , and as seaweed did I connected the peaks with bridges also

it's amazing looking at those 2 pictures how the sand bed got deeper over time engineer goby and lobster kicked out so much sand the sand bed is now under mined from one side to the other . it's a whole new world under there.

Back
Top Bottom