Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2015, 02:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, WRT the sump design, I'm thinking this would work.

(credit to zoidberg at ReefSanctuary for this design).

Since my skimmer is a HOB, it wouldn't be in the first chamber, but would intake and output into that chamber...

Old 01-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

w00t...the pump on my HOB skimmer (a Sicce PSK200 pump) is submersible. I'm going to pull the intake line off, and rotate the output 90 degrees so it outputs over the first baffle.

Speaking of baffles..I should get on those and get the acrylic.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've settled on the Jebao RW-4 powerheads. I will get two of those. Combined with the Sicce 3.0 return, that should provide plenty of movement.

I'm doing exhaustive (exhausting?) research on the BeanAnimal overflow. Definitely the method I'm going with. I'm an engineer, I'm all about failsafe. I'll be using Formufit colored PVC pipe for the sections that will be visible.

Next on the list...getting the acrylic for the baffles and spray painting the back of the tank.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's my plan on the drain and overflow box:

Should I make the box longer? Also, one or two return lines?
Old 02-10-2015, 03:02 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
Here's my plan on the drain and overflow box:

Should I make the box longer? Also, one or two return lines?

Are you DIY'ing your overflow box?
Any reason you have three huge overflow holes?

If I were you I would get one from glass-holes.com - even comes with the template and drilling guide and bulkheads.

This one would work: http://www.glass-holes.com/700-gph-O...t-gh700kit.htm

I don't think you're gonna need overflow holes that big or that many. I'm going with two 1.5" bulkheads for my 75G.

I think you could get away with that overflow kit and one drain line. I'd go one overflow and use 1.5" PVC. Should be plenty.

As for the number of returns I think it's up to you, I'm splitting mine up the return line and doing two.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:25 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's the BeanAnimal Overflow. Read all about it BeanAnimal's Bar and Grill - Silent and Fail-Safe Overflow System
Old 02-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmm! Learn something new every day
Old 02-12-2015, 10:16 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used the Herbie method for my plumbing which had a emergency pipe in the overflow box that will drain a littkecwster but not much and a inline check valve which will stop water drawing into the sump from the return hose. Look up the Herbie method before you make any decisions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 07-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yay! Progress!!

I've drilled the tank, fabricated the overflow, mounted and sealed the overflow, done a leak test (all passed), and did a dry fit of the plumbing. Just gotta wait for the humidity to drop a little so I can cement the plumbing together, add the baffles to my sump, and start the cycle and cure.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Plumbing is all cemented and installed. Just need to get my sump finished, and run the return line. Finally...progress!!

Tags
upgrade, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com