Upgraded lighting-how to acclimate questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just ordered this http://store.petproductadvisor.com/.../11476/current-usa-nova-extreme-pro-t5ho.html and I'm wondering how would be the best way to switch over my tank to this new fixture? Most of my corals have been under power compact lighting for many months. Would it be best to move some of the soft corals to lower levels in the tank (devils glove, xenia) and should I monkey with the frogspawn, hammer coral, open brain and blue clove corals?

Also, this is a little off topic but..... I had plans to get a derasa clam but do you think I could do a crocea?

TIA!

Good choice on the lighting. I think you ill be happy with that. You can use a few layers of screen door screen to filter the light and remove one layer every few days.

Crocea should be fine.

Yea you can do like cccapt says, the screen method is good, used at lot when people upgrade to MH lighting. You could also reduce the photoperiod to 6 hours the first week and add an hour every 7-10 days until your back to normal schedule.

Your rbta should like that a lot. :)

I've tried both shortened photoperiod and the screen method. The screen method Ccapt mentioned is less stressful in my experience and is what I prefer. Shortening the photperiod along w/ the screen method is the safest bet. Your RBTA will thank you heh. My BTA had a hard time adjusting when I increased my lighting.

Thanks!! My new light fixture will be in on Wednesday. I am concerned that some of my corals, toward the very top of my tank, will not do well with the higher lighting.....mushrooms, devils hand in particular. Should I move these lower in the tank? Also, would the derasa clam be ok on the floor of the tank? (it's about 24" deep).

TIA

I am concerned that some of my corals, toward the very top of my tank, will not do well with the higher lighting.....mushrooms, devils hand in particular. Should I move these lower in the tank?
I would move any low light corals towards the bottom. I don't think shrooms will appreciate being high up in the tank w/ the new lighting. The devils hand should be OK as is. Just take it slow with the light acclimation.
As for the clam a Derasa should be ok on the bottom of the tank, but 24" is pushing the bounds of T5's as far as I know. I think it'll be OK though.
Hope you enjoy your new lights ;)

Back
Top Bottom