Upgrading 10 gal FOWLR to 30 gal reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm thinking of upgrading my 10 gallon FOWLR into my old 30 gallon long tank...the 30 was a FW tank so would need basically all new equipment. I'd like to keep some less demanding soft corals and zoanthids. As usual, I have a zillion questions!

-What lighting? I'm thinking 2x96 but would 1x96 be OK? Or 2x55 or 2x65? Suggestions on fixtures? I'd be able to build a canopy if needed. I currently have a 36" strip.

-Skimmer suggestions

-Obviously I'd need more LR and sand than the 20 lbs of each I have now. How would I set up the new tank....let it cycle and then add the rock from the 10g? Or add everything at once?

-Fish suggestions? I have a 6 line wrasse now. I would like to get a cleaner shrimp, and 1 or 2 other fish (not clownfish).

The 2x65 would be good for the type corals you want. Just add everything at once and cycle everything together. You might not have a full cycle with your already cured rock from your 10 gallon tank.

for fish you could do something like fire fish, or small goby! a cardinal fish would be pretty nice to (although they are nocturnal) or,.... something else peacfull, no gramma or dotty back as they are semi agressive and the six line wrasse is pretty shy (right?)

Maybe you could get your LFS to hold him in one of his tanks. Just make sure you mark the glass so everybody knows. How much LR is in your tank now

20 lbs in a 10 gallon, with a ton of Caulerpa growing like mad. Also 20 lbs sand. I also have a feather duster and 4 Astraea snails. Not sure about the wrasse being shy, he is pretty feisty, although he is the only fish in the tank now.

You might not experience much of a cycle with 20 lbs of cured rock. I guess if push comes shove you might be able to put him in the tank. Let`s see what others say. I still think the best idea would be to see if your LFS would keep him.

That might be the best idea, although I'm hesitant to bring my fish to the LFS and have him go in the general circulation tanks. THe local LFS does have a small reef tank that is separate from the store tanks. I did have quite a bit of die-off from the Tampa Bay live rock but I think I was part of that problem, I know a lot more now! Unfortunately there really aren't any local LFS's with decent live rock, most of what they have looks like base rock.

I've looked at the SW showcase forum and a lot of the 30 gallon reefs seem to use the 2x96 instead of 2x65, but I'm probably a couple of months from actually doing this so I've got a while to make up my mind.

What skimmers would folks recommend for this size tank?

Still no real ideas on other fish yet....

That is one cool shrimp!

I'd like to figure out a way not to bring the wrasse to the LFS. i think there might be a few LFS closer to Boston with some nice LR that would be worth the drive rather than paying for the TB saltwater rock. My rock is thoroughly cured now, and hopefully all the Caulerpa will act as a nutrient sponge should there be any die off with the new rock.

I'm hoping to get this process going sometime in January so stay tuned!

As for fish, I'm still undecided, maybe a royal gramma, maybe a firefish, maybe some chromis, not sure, but I've got a while to decide!

Back
Top Bottom