upgrading already active aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty27

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am planning on upgrading the size of my already conditioned 3 year old aquarium from 45 gallons to 75 gallons sometime next week. I've already begun prepping the additional water I will be adding in a large bucket (air filtration, salt, temperature, and threw in a piece of slate rock from the current aquarium). I know this water won't be cycled and am hoping it wouldn't disturb the balance of the current water. Hopefully it will be like a big water change. :lol:

Any recommendations on how to smoothly transition my current fish (grouper, trigger and eel) to their new home? I'll have to keep them in buckets for a few hours while I switch the two aquariums. Would the 30 gallons of new water cause any harm?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

How about you transfer the fish to buckets, and then move all your rock
sand and old water to the new one. Then you could add your fish and slowly,
wait a bit, then add the new water over time.

the 'water' doesn't cycle...it's the surfaces under water that contain all the cycling bacteria.
removing the fish to buckets, then transferrign substrate and all rocks/decorations, filter media, etc....that's how you can transition to the new tank without having to do an official cycle.

But then wait a month before you add any new livestock.

As long as the process is as quick as possible, you will be fine.. Think of it as one big 30 gallon water change.

Back
Top Bottom