Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Upgrading Aquarium

Hi Everyone!

I'm very excited that I have the opportunity to upgrade my aquarium! I currently have a 30 gallon aquarium with two fish, 30lbs sand, 30lbs live rock, and several pieces of coral. All has been functioning very well and has a great system going. I have 2 filters running.

My friend has a 60 gallon system that he has had stored for a little under a year, he gave me everything because he needed space. The system is a 60 gal tank, canister filter, protein skimmer, and 50lbs of "once was live" rock that is now dried and been sitting out for almost a year.

Does anyone have any advice or past experience in upgrading a tank and curing live rock? What should my plan of action be? I know I need to cure the live rock before anything happens, should I do that separately or just put the new tank together and cycle it all as a new tank for a while and then when it's ready add in the the current tank items or should I use some of the rocks from the current tank to help cycle the new tank?

Thank you for your help!

cooling1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
Use rock from old tank. Most ppl buy new sand and seed with some of the old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agfish12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
In a fresh tank, simply cycle everything at once in the tank itself. There is no need to seed anything, it isn't necessary. I never recommend using old sand since it usually comes with all the excess food and poop that will be a nitrate issue that can easily be avoided. Used rock isn't that hard to clean up, but it should always be given a good scrub. One of the biggest mistakes I ever did was not scrubbing the rock down I added to my 55. All kinds of mud and all other kinds of gunk that could have easily been removed and been less of an issue.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Could you drill the 60 gallon tank and add the 30 as a sump? My biggest regret first time round was not "sumping" my first tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Adamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
You could ask at your lfs. They might take your dried rock and straight swap for cured live rock

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Waynage01 is offline   Reply With Quote

aquarium, upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com