Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2003, 01:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Upgrading (Eventually) Help please.

Currently we have a 40 reef with an 18 sump/fuge and also a 29 gallon reef that has been up for a year. We'd like to combine the two and just put it downstairs, the 40 is upstairs in our room and doesn't get to be looked at as much as the 29 downstairs. Problem is, SPACE, we have approx 49 inches on one wall to put a tank therefore eliminating the 40 and the 29.

What size should we go or rather how big can we go? Also what brand of aquarium is best? Glass or Acrylic? Bowfront or regular? Long or tall?

Here's what is all going to go into it and we'd like to use our existing lights which are: 2 96W PCs, and 2 55W PCs.

Corals are: Zoanthids, a large toadstool leather, Xenia, Pipe Organ Coral, Hammer, Anchor, Bubble, M. Cap and another SPS coral (the two sps corals I'm not sure if they are going to make it, they are being attacked by small white nudi's) and two ricordia mushrooms.

We have total of 75 pounds of live rock combining the two tanks.

We aren't sure what to do with the sand, the 29 has white sand and the 40 has black, the 40's isn't as old but I've already seen we have quite a few worms in it but don't want to go black sand again. But don't want to dump it either so not sure what we are going to do with that. We don't plan on adding anything to the tank, but realize we will have to get rid of our only fish in the 40 which is a mandarin which is doing fine, but wouldn't survive if we merged it with the scooter and since we've had the scooter for a year it wouldn't be fair to get rid of it.

Look forward to suggestions Thanks!

Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 02:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

one suggestion...you can put the white sand the main tank, and the black sand in the sump. and depending on what you are planning on doing with the other tanks, you can use one for the sump or a fuge or whatever you decide. thats what i do at least. HTH

Old 11-05-2003, 02:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks that's what we were thinking too, but that's a lot of sand, I mean we have 60lbs of black sand in there. Thanks for the suggestion now just to figure out what size of main tank to get. Cha Ching!
Old 11-05-2003, 09:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well lots of views but no other suggestions, how bout this question then, Bowfront or straight aquarium?
Old 11-06-2003, 12:26 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
With 49" of wall space available, you're pretty much limited to a 48" tank max. My guess is, perceptive person that you are, you had already figured that much out . I'm thinking you're limited to a max size of 110 gal...I don't know of any 48" tanks that are larger than that. Mine measures 48"x18". The 30" depth of this tank presents a dilemma when it comes to lighting though. I'm thinking you'd need a pair of 400w MH's to light it effectively. Other sizes in 48" are 90 and 75 gal which I think are 24" and 18" deep.
I think that bowfront tanks make a much more attractive display...JMHO. Smack me...I don't know my bowfront measurements (and I should), but I'm thinking a 72gal bowfront would fit in the space you have. I believe it's a 48" tank. Another option...something different...might be a flat back hex.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I love the hex tanks, but was told by someone that they are hard to light. We'd really like to get a tank that is I'm probably using the wrong term, reef ready, you know where it has the overflows built in. I saw a 72 gallon bowfront on here I think it was in the gallery, I really liked it and I know it would give us more area to place corals. We plan on going out and price, just wanted to get opinions on here being that you get a more honest opinion on here compared to a LFS that wants to sell you something. I was talking with my husband last night, I'd really like to get away from putting in power heads I guess what I mean is have it look clean and do without having the powerheads that eventually fall off the glass after a while.

We really want to set this one up right, we want to be able to work out how to make a real good flow in the tank so that there is no dead spots. That's what we are encountering with the 29 and the 40. I'm really having mixed emotions about the whole new tank thing because both tanks are running so good but I really don't like having the 40 upstairs because if it ever leaks we are talking a lot more money than just an upgrade of a tank.

Thanks for your help Logan, we may be coming your way for a new skimmer as the BakPak CPR I have a feeling won't be enough and we'll be looking for a new pump for the sump.

Thanks!

Kaurene
Old 11-06-2003, 11:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
48" is pretty standard for a lot of tanks... Everything from a 55 to a 110 is available in a 48". I have the 72G bow front you talking about and it too is 48". I LOVE my Bow. But I think a deep 75 is nice too. As far as lighting goes your light will suffice but I would add at least 2 more PCs for a total of 6. I have 8 55W PCs going on the bow. And something for you to consider is with the bowfront width of lighting is an issue as it "bows" toward leaving only 13" of the tank actually 48" wide. The 75 would be much wider as far as lighting goes.

I am having some digital camera issues but will be happy to send you pictures when i get fixed or buy a new one.

Do you plan on retro fitting your existing lights onthe new tank in a canopy? I would guess that neither are 48" setups.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
I didn't really finish my thought before hitting send. If retro-fittinf lighting becomes an issue with a bowfront. Keep in mind canopies are hard to find for the bow and even harder to DIY (at least for me) the best way IMO if buying a bow is to buy a combo with a canopy and reto into that.

HTH

But I do still recommend the bow

Ronnie

Tags
upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com