Phosban reactor and bio pellets caused a major bacteria bloom (which I posted a different thread for), that lasted about 5 days. Luckily the only casualty was my sand-sifting sea star, and all the other fish and corals are fine.
Now the water is back to being clear, and I've learned that when adding NPX Bioplastics in a reactor, add a little bit at a time and work up to the amount you want to run slowly. I've also found that my clownfish have decided that my presence is no longer something they need to hide from all the time (a welcome change).
But the biggest development is the changes in my water quality with the reactor running: undetectable levels of nitrate (we'll see if it lasts or if it's just a side effect of all the bacteria that was in the tank for the past week). If it can keep my nitrate down to super low levels I'll be able to cut back on water changes in a big way.
I've also decided to order a Reef Octopus BH1000 h.o.b. protein skimmer this week. Hopefully I'll have it on the tank next week, and working with my new reactor to keep my water pristine. I'll definitely post updates.
55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.