Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
3 x 250 watt halides, or 16 x 39 watt t-5s, or a quality LED fixture. i'm not familiar with many of them but i notice, that the ones that boast "lots of light" or something vague like that are not enough for most corals.
you will want to ask some folks that have experience with LEDs for the correct fixture to get. i would also make sure the fixture is UL listed.
Hey X if you were getting a new 125 what equipment would you buy no matter the price? Including lights, skimmer, and pumps?
__________________

__________________
-Billy

.:30 gallon FOWLR, 2 B&W Clowns & Lawnmower Blenny:.
BillyD918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
well, i would build a big sump for it and buy an octo extreme XS200 or perhaps a SWC xtreme 200 skimmer and for lighting i would probably try out a QUALITY LED fixture (there are too many crappy ones out there). maybe a pair of these-
NEW 36 long Complete LED light system w/R/C Controls [CLED-RC36] - $499.99 : CAD Lights, Thinking outside the cube
i would probably get a pair of dosing pumps from BRS as well.
__________________

__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
well, i would build a big sump for it and buy an octo extreme XS200 or perhaps a SWC xtreme 200 skimmer and for lighting i would probably try out a QUALITY LED fixture (there are too many crappy ones out there). maybe a pair of these-
NEW 36 long Complete LED light system w/R/C Controls [CLED-RC36] - $499.99 : CAD Lights, Thinking outside the cube
i would probably get a pair of dosing pumps from BRS as well.
Thanks X! I always look forward to your advice!
__________________
-Billy

.:30 gallon FOWLR, 2 B&W Clowns & Lawnmower Blenny:.
BillyD918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
ShawnMMcKenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brookhaven, Pennsylvania
Posts: 89
Billy,

I was just re-reading back through the posts and you mentioned going to the gulfarium for liverock. Make sure you do, because they have the best prices on liverock anywhere. $1.80-$2.00 Lb. for good liverock w/ lots of coralline algae. Cant beat it.
__________________
ShawnMMcKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnMMcKenna View Post
Billy,

I was just re-reading back through the posts and you mentioned going to the gulfarium for liverock. Make sure you do, because they have the best prices on liverock anywhere. $1.80-$2.00 Lb. for good liverock w/ lots of coralline algae. Cant beat it.
Ya I was looking at their website and some of the pics they posted of LR were just covered in corraline algae nice and purplish! I might have to go this weekend to start scoping things out lol...
__________________
-Billy

.:30 gallon FOWLR, 2 B&W Clowns & Lawnmower Blenny:.
BillyD918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
a word of advice- don't buy rock by the color, buy it by the porousness and shape. color comes and goes. coralline is not a big deal and can grow in any tank with average lighting and parameters.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
a word of advice- don't buy rock by the color, buy it by the porousness and shape. color comes and goes. coralline is not a big deal and can grow in any tank with average lighting and parameters.
ok cool thanks again!
__________________

__________________
-Billy

.:30 gallon FOWLR, 2 B&W Clowns & Lawnmower Blenny:.
BillyD918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
July OT WINNER Zagz Forum Admin & Announcements 13 08-25-2009 11:21 PM
July SW contest Zagz Show Off/Photography 1 07-24-2008 01:01 AM
July FW contest Zagz Show Off/Photography 2 07-24-2008 12:55 AM
July SW contest reefrunner69 Show Off/Photography 5 07-11-2005 11:16 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.