Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Unfortunately i have to disagree mr x. I have friends that have very good led fixture and i have not seen the same results as a metal halide. T5 grow sps corals much slower than metal halides and from what i have seen so do leds. I also have a smaller tank that runs on t5 and the growth rate of my sps corals is not the same as my other tank with metal halides. Dont get me wrong i think that leds are great and i know they can grow sps corals good but not at the rate metal halides can. I personally dont think that led tech has reached where it needs to be yet. I believe soon they will be able to get the same results as metal halides but not right now.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You have it wrong. Its not a matter of what type of light you have that makes corals grow, its. How much PAR/PUR you are getting. As long as you have enough usable light, any type of lighting will work. LED lighting is the most efficient to date. Way more efficient than metal halide. As far as technology is concerned, LED puts out the most, with the least amount of energy used, period.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Newbie here, but I agree with mr x. My LEDs often feel like to much light, even for my sps. I think LEDs are at a point now where metal halides are obsolete. Just my opinion. I read an article the other day saying the first led was made in the early 60s. Thats 50years of growth on the tech. (now if I could only stop bleaching my corals, lol)
Old 05-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #24
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

What was stated above is true. Mh is obsolete when you compare par, pur, heat output, and cost. It sometimes might not feel like it, but it's there. I murdered a pink birdsnest because i under estimated my radions.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

When the LED market becomes competitive enough amongst the manufactures to bring the pricing down and all the quirks get ironed out I'll be in the market. For instance, my tank with a 36" depth would have cost me between $4000.00 and $6000.00 for a product that hasn't been out that long. Not worth the risk. We'll see where things are, in the LED industry, when we do our tank build in a few years where the depth will be 84". Until then, "flame on" with the old reliables MHs, T5s, and a used chiller. Cost, right at $1500.00.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:31 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWSCJ
When the LED market becomes competitive enough amongst the manufactures to bring the pricing down and all the quirks get ironed out I'll be in the market. For instance, my tank with a 36" depth would have cost me between $4000.00 and $6000.00 for a product that hasn't been out that long. Not worth the risk. We'll see where things are, in the LED industry, when we do our tank build in a few years where the depth will be 84". Until then, "flame on" with the old reliables MHs, T5s, and a used chiller. Cost, right at $1500.00.
I would almost think an LED would be better for depth because the beam of light isn't wide but narrow and straight down. I would think it would travel deeper and maintain its strength. IMO, the expense of the LED is more because there is no replacement cost. My led is advertised at 30% reduction in 10 years. I think they will get cheaper eventually, but not in the next few years to come. I debated on MH and own a T5HO. I love my LEDs.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

Well, just like you said " the beam of light isn't wide but narrow and straight down." Which means I'm going to need a lot of LEDs to get the coverage I need, which means the initial cost is going to be even higher. I'm not necessarily disputing that LEDs aren't the way to go, in fact I wanted to go that way. The other factor is when I upgrade to a larger tank it will be easier to sell my 450 and let the new owner make that decision. My MHs run 4 hrs a day, T5s the rest of the time. My chiller runs a few hrs a day as well. My fish and corals are awesome with color and growth. I stay consistent. But, I would like to see my tank under LEDs.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

That would entirely depend on what optics you are using. The fixtures I am using have no optics at all, so the spread is very wide. I got away with 3 of them over a 7' tank and everything did very well. These have the same spread as a halide does, if not a little more.

As far as pricing goes, you can do without the bells and whistles and spend a lot less than you think. I am lighting an 8' x 30" footprint for just over $600.00.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

Manufacture and specs? I'll check them out.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check my build thread, towards the end. There are links to the ones I have, which aren't dimmable, and also some folks have posted links to newer, dimmable versions. I'm happy with mine but if I had it to do over again, I would want the dimmable option.

Tags
light, lights, t5ho, upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com