Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Freak
I guess it's all about what you want. Some people want a mac, when others are happy with a plain old pc, does the same job but doesn't look as fancy. I wanted shimmer and crisp colour without the heat and electricity bills plus the added bonus of no bulb changes.

What do you make of the blues Doug? They make my coral fluoresce like nothing I've seen before. To me it was worth the money and I'd buy again in a heartbeat.

Leighton79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I think the blues are crazy looking. Reminds me of the woods in the movie Avatar. I do wish they would have split up the blues and added some regular blues, not all royal blue, but I would also buy them again.

mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #53
Originally Posted by mr_X
That would entirely depend on what optics you are using. The fixtures I am using have no optics at all, so the spread is very wide. I got away with 3 of them over a 7' tank and everything did very well. These have the same spread as a halide does, if not a little more.

As far as pricing goes, you can do without the bells and whistles and spend a lot less than you think. I am lighting an 8' x 30" footprint for just over $600.00.
You can get a dimmable driver for next to nothing and put it on any led you want. I'm with x and a halide and t5 combined fixture can cost more than a simple led. I have a vertex 48" fixture that was pricey but I like the extras even thou you may not need them
Jason M2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Those pictures of the growth have me convinced. I will be putting 2 dimmable taotronics on my 75 gallon build unless anyone can convince me otherwise.

Ericwm is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lights, t5ho, upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com