Upgrading Lights to T5HO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lionfish210

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Lately, I have been feeling like my aquarium is a bit light starved. I have power compacts over it, with a fluorescent strip light in front. I'm thinking of upgrading to T-5s, but have seen that some hobbyists use more actinic bulbs, giving the water a bluer effect. I'm thinking of keeping more sps corals, and I've heard that corals react better to blue light.

That's not necessarily true. Most of us put way more blue over our tanks than corals need. Picture them in their wild habitat. We use a lot of blue because we like the look, and it makes the colors stand out.
What size tank do you have?

If your going the t5 route then I'd reccomend a 4' 6 bulb fixture minimum if you want sps. An 8 bulb would be better but another option is LEDs which you could light that with 2 panels

Just to follow up on the above posts. What was said about 6 bulb or higher is correct about sps. In a matter being economical, leds are the better choice. The technology has reached a point you can get them for 200 a piece. It might seem peicey, but a 6-8 bulb t5 will be similar if not higher. Along with that, bulbs will need replaced every 6 months at ~200 a pop. Leds will need replaced ~10 years.

I replaced my T5s once a year, but they are at least 20 dollars a piece for quality lamps, so you are looking at $160.00 a year minimum for the T5s. As you can see, no one touched on halides because they are obsolete in my opinion. A ton of heat, also expensive lamps (you would need 2 a year at about 60 bucks a piece), and a lot of electricity usage.

As for the LED technology, you can do the job over your tank for about $320.00, and they do last much longer than halides and T5 lighting. If you take a look at my tank build there are links to different LED fixtures that are in that price range. You can also go for the more expensive ones that have more options. It's not necessary to spend the extra dough however.

As always, X is on point. On my 55, I spent the extra cash for Radion LEDs. Mostly because I had a nice tax refund coming my way this year. There are several, much cheaper LED options that are discussed throughout these forums.

Thanks. I'd like to stay away from the metal halides since I also keep a few softies and zoas. I'd like to look into the LEDs. Also, can you suggest certain acropora morphs that are relatively easier to keep. Also some experience on ORA acropora.

Are they really getting good results with LEDs and SPS corals? Tech seems really new to me. Are they getting good growth rates with LEDs? Does anyone have good research resources to look at? Lot's of questions but love the idea of LED's but want to make informed choice to go with them.

Check out mr. X's thread... A lot of info on his LEDs... I know I'm getting them. He even has par ratings at different depths.

New to the coral life, but my nano-601-LED has 25 3w LEDs and the person I purchased this kit from has sps and lps corals for a year in this light setup. They are great specimens, so I'd say LEDs are the way to go. Plus they are cool to the touch.

Are they really getting good results with LEDs and SPS corals? Tech seems really new to me. Are they getting good growth rates with LEDs? Does anyone have good research resources to look at? Lot's of questions but love the idea of LED's but want to make informed choice to go with them.
I'm getting just as good results with the LED fixtures as I was with the 8 lamp T5 fixtures, when SPS is concerned. LPS is another story. It seems that some LPS does well under the LED units, but others must be almost totally shielded from the light. I'm finding a similar reaction from anemones. Some love the new light, while others are not enjoying it.

As for the ORA coral question- Most of them are pretty nice and have been in captivity for quite some time, and as a result are easier to keep than wild specimens.

My understanding is that LED light is very "pin point" for a lack of a better term. The light directs straight down and doesn't have as wide an "arc, cone spread?" as other lights.

For sps growth i dont think anything can match up to the growth rate metal halides give you. I have a tank with metal halides and another tank with t5s. The t5 will grow the sps corals but not at the rate metal halides will. Dont know much about the leds. I have a 150 tall and i love the fact that i can put stony frags on the floor and the grow great and dont loose color with the metal halides

What wattage are your metal halides? What spectrum are you using? I too love what I have with the metal halides. Hate the heat but love the results!

I have 2 250 watt metal hallides. I use coralvue 20k bulbs and coralvue dimmable ballasts. I have an open tank with no canopy. I removed the power compacts that came in the fixture and added 6 strips of powerbrite blue leds. With no chiller i have been able to keep my tank at 76 to 78 degrees. With the halides on my heater still turns on and it is set at 76 degrees

Nice! I have a 90 gallon corner with 1 250 watt 15,000 K metal halide. Have a 1/6 HP chiller and maintain a temp of 76. I just have LPS and softies now but want to try SPS. I hear that 6,500 K give the best growth but you have a lot of yellow so have to add back in the blue with power compacts or I was thinking of doing strip LED lights.

Yea 6500k will give you the most growth but the color is horrible. It is really yellow and the colors will not be very nice. I would go with atleast a 10k ot 14k and some atinics. My corals grow rather quickly with my 20k

the right LED fixture will grow sps just as well as T5s or metal halides, with half the wattage, and no lamp cost.

Back
Top Bottom