Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2016, 04:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Upgrading my 29 to a 72 bow front

Hey guys got a couple questions here.

I am upgrade my 29 to a 72 bow front(as if the title didn't say enough :P). I plan on reusing the water in my 29 as well as my sand and rock. Plus whatever is in my sump will be reused as well(rock rubble, macro algae, more sand).

When I do this will I need to wait for the tank to cycle again or should I be good since it's already precycled?
I will be reusing my skimmer, overflow, return, same tubing(if it fits).
Also, how do I go about temporarily storing my livestock?

I need to drain my 29 before I can start working with the 72, the 72 is going exactly where the 29 is. I need to drain the 72 then disassemble the stand, remove my sump/refugium, move the stand, put the new stand in place then setup the sump again.

My plan was to call a couple local fish stores to see if they could temporarily hold my livestock while I do this process. Last thing I want to do is put them in 5gallon buckets while I move from tank to tank and put them through all that stress.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 07-17-2016, 05:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Upgrading my 29 to a 72 bow front

You should be ok as far as cycling if you throughly rinse your sand with saltwater until the water is basically clear.Putting your livestock in a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and aeration of some type will stress less than taking to Lfs.
I transferred my 10 gallon reef and 20 gallon reef into a 40 this way with no problems.Get a large plastic container to put your rock and water into until transferred and keep your heater in there to keep the water temp right.Also make sure the additional water you add is correct temp.Walmart sells a cheap little heater if you need to get a couple to help with the process.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksreef View Post
You should be ok as far as cycling if you throughly rinse your sand with saltwater until the water is basically clear.Putting your livestock in a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and aeration of some type will stress less than taking to Lfs.
I transferred my 10 gallon reef and 20 gallon reef into a 40 this way with no problems.Get a large plastic container to put your rock and water into until transferred and keep your heater in there to keep the water temp right.Also make sure the additional water you add is correct temp.Walmart sells a cheap little heater if you need to get a couple to help with the process.

Good luck

Cool, thats what I was hoping to hear. Now to find the bins/containers to hold ~29 gallons worth of water :P

Is there a need to clean the sand? Don't I want to keep the organisms in it?
Old 07-17-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You want to get as much of the dirty stuff that hasn't been completely broken down yet to avoid a new cycle.The sand will still keep a lot of the bacteria.It is mostly in your rock,make sure you keep it under water in the containers.I just used a couple of the long grey storage containers you can get at Walmart and other places to put the rock and water in.

Tags
bow front, upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com