Upgrading my lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dannyb

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, So im updating my tank to a 4x2x2 from a 2x2x2 in the next couple of weeks. I've come across a nice, All in one metal halide fixture. Its 4ft and has to MH globes and the blue t5's in it as well. Im quite sure they're 150w 10,000k MH globes.
My question is, Im running a SE 250w 20,000k on my 2x2x2 at the moment, Will it be better to buy to new reflecters and two 250w globes? OR will the single unit be enough? I'll change the globes to 250w if possible and to 20,000k.

But just curious on whats better for corals as im planning on growing alot from hard to soft.

But just curious on whats better for corals as im planning on growing alot from hard to soft.

Not with an EMP you don't. :D He will love a soft or crunchy coral snack. :D

Just make sure your ballast can handle 250 watt bulbs. If they have 150 watt bulbs now it might not take the others. Your MH`s have a 2 foot long footprint so if you have two it will cover a 4 ft tank.

As Mike said, you can't run 250w bulbs with a 150w ballast. Also, you called them "globes", so are you referring to a single ended (SE) mogul based bulb that screws in or a double ended (DE) bulb that snaps in place? The reason being, 150w bulbs come in the DE variety only and 175w bulbs come in the SE variety only. 250w comes in both SE and DE.

Thanks for the input.

Im pretty sure they're the snap in ones, Im just curious will i get the same growth and look from a 150w MH?

Will i still be able to grow anything under them?

The light doesnt come with a ballast, Im pretty sure its all inbuilt as one. Because it just has a power cord comming from the lighting unit.

Thanks again.

Ok cool, So i'll scrap the all in one lighting unit and keep my two 250w ballasts, And run 2 250w SE globes, With new reflectors.

Now, Does anyone have a good idea of how to suspened to reflectors?

I was thinking of screwing them to a nice peice of wood, And suspending the wood? Work out all the measurements and what not.
Because with this tank i dont want a hood.

thanks.

Ok cool, So i'll scrap the all in one lighting unit and keep my two 250w ballasts, And run 2 250w SE globes, With new reflectors.

Now, Does anyone have a good idea of how to suspened to reflectors?

I was thinking of screwing them to a nice peice of wood, And suspending the wood? Work out all the measurements and what not.
Because with this tank i dont want a hood.

thanks.

Which reflectors are you looking into?

I will most likely have, Clam or two, Softies, Maybe some hards up the top/middle. Carpet anemone..
Basically want to be able to buy anything that i think will look good in the tank.

Will that be enough? Because thats going to save me alot of money if i go with that.

Just called the LFS. They said 175w should be enough, But if i want to grow some hard corals such as acros, 250w would be better.

But im not terribly interested in acros and hards at the moment, and i can always upgrade.

One last question, Will the carpet be fine under 175w 24' deep? As he can move to his desired position.

I would say go for the 250w. Two feet is a heck of a lot of water for light to fully penetrate, and if you ever wanted to "upgrade" your lighting in the future, you would most likely be spending a lot more money in the long run than if you just bought the 250w lights now.

I'm getting a 150w light for my 18" deep tank and i would still have to put things like acro and SPS near the top half.

Back
Top Bottom