Upgrading skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swflyfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ihave a CPR Bak skimmer from my 55 gal tank fowlr and now have a 75 gallon reef.I've aound 100 lbs. lr and 5 inches sand with assortment corals,my question is what brand of skimmers are your fav......also i have a 5 gal hang on fuge with normal setup.No power filter.Nitrate (no3) are around 25 ppm with 10 gal weekly water changes and think a larger skimmer would help...starting to some nurrance algae as fish are getting a bit bigger...a little over 1 year since setup

I'm guessing you are talking about the 75g reef that is having the issue. I would suggest doing a larger PWC each week. I usuall do about 30g when I do a PWC every other week. My total system volume is around 175g. NitrAte usually shows up as a result of over feeding. How often, how much and what are you feeding your fish? Are you using DTs or something else for filter feeders? My NitrAtes have been bleow 10ppm for about 6 months now and I attribute that to light feedings and larger PWCs. What do you have in your fuge? Macro algae will help reduce your nitrates but it is important to thin your macro every so often to actually remove the nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom