Upgrading Tank: Questions/Concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amanda_marie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 60 gallon tank that has been up and running (finished cycling) the beginning of November.

I'm still wanting more corals here and there, but was through, I believe, in terms of stocking fish in my 60 gallon.

I had been thinking about how much I'd like a larger tank; more space, more fish opportunities, more room for corals, etc. but wasn't in much of a rush to upgrade.

However, I've came across a couple good deals in my area (pretty sparse) and am thinking I may go ahead and upgrade.

I came across someone selling a 90 gallon and stand for $200. I also came across someone selling a predrilled 90 gallon (still up and running actually) for $600. The predrilled doesn't have an actual sump but a wet/dry. That, the price difference, and that the one is still up and running brings up concerns for me. If possible, I would have to turn the wet/dry into a sump. Having no experience here is where I am concerned. The predrilled is also about an hour from where I live, the other is in my town.

My first question is, would it be necessary to have a sump on a tank the size of a 90 gallon?

I would be running a skimmer, I currently have a Reed Octopus recommended by BRS for 100gallons, and could upgrade if needed. I'd also need to add/upgrade powerheads and purchase more rock moving up to a 90. I would feel comfortable upgrading if the sump was added later, if it was or became needed.

I just don't want to find myself in a situation that will make things much more difficult either way I go.

Also, another big concern, is doing the actual move over/upgrade itself. The 90gallon will have to go where my 60 gallon is setting. I'm sure this will make things much more difficult as well. I'm not sure if this would even be possible without causing some harm in one way or another.

This will be my first upgrade/move ever so I'm worried. I'm not 100% I'll purchase either yet, I need to be sure and have a few of my concerns/questions addressed first.

A sump would make your reef some much easier. No not necessary but plan on one. I added on to my 75 best thing I have done for it. Check out Melevs reef sumps .com great info for future ref. you could transfer everything into the 90 and add 30 gal of new saltwater I have done this two times with two different tanks and had no problems. Seriously think about the sump and the wet dry could be used as one.

A sump would make your reef some much easier. No not necessary but plan on one. I added on to my 75 best thing I have done for it. Check out Melevs reef sumps .com great info for future ref. you could transfer everything into the 90 and add 30 gal of new saltwater I have done this two times with two different tanks and had no problems. Seriously think about the sump and the wet dry could be used as one.

I figured a sump would make things easier at least but didn't know how problematic it might be for a reef tank on a larger size tank then mine. No issues without a sump in my 60 g but that is a 30 g difference.

I've actually seen that site, I haven't looked at it in some time so will again.

I know the 90g drilled would probably be easier in terms of running a sump but I worry about messing something up especially with having to modify a wet/dry into a sump. Also, thats a big price difference just because it is drilled and has a wet/dry.

I wouldn't have a problem adding a sump sometime later on with the other 90g but don't know just how that would be as it wouldn't be drilled. Assuming this will make it more difficult.

When you moved tank, were you putting the new tank in the same spot the old one was and was the old tank stocked?

This is what brings up my concerns in this area. I'm going to have to have some totes/buckets ready for the fish, corals, CUC, and live rock. Then drain the water out of the 60g (would have to save it and have the extra water already mixed that would be needed for the 90g) to move it before putting the 90gallon up. Then get the 90gallon completely set up, sump and all if I was to have one, before adding my fish, corals, etc back into the tank.

Shew...scares me just thinking about it lol.

Yeah it's a bit overwhelming. Our most difficult time is the rescaping ugh!!! Yes they were in the same spot buckets and coolers for water and fish, corals and cuc. Took about 4-5 hours drilled is good mine is not and my overflow box works well. So the 400 bucks could be used down the road. Does the other one come with lr and all the extras?

Yeah it's a bit overwhelming. Our most difficult time is the rescaping ugh!!! Yes they were in the same spot buckets and coolers for water and fish, corals and cuc. Took about 4-5 hours drilled is good mine is not and my overflow box works well. So the 400 bucks could be used down the road. Does the other one come with lr and all the extras?

I guess one of the bigger questions would be drilled vs not when it comes to the sump and all. Especially since I feel pretty clueless to both.

For a tank that is not drilled, what exactly would be different? I'd need a HOB overflow box correct? Is that what would plumb to the sump, and what about the return?

Gosh, I didn't even think about the aquascaping, it took me hours just in my 60g.

That was my thought about the money, with that much of a difference. Like just wait and see if I could do without a sump and if not the money I didn't spend getting the drilled tank would be used to get what I'd need to operate a sump on the other 90g. I figure I'd get maybe 50lbs of macro rock to add if I got the 90 to add to the 85lbs I already have in my 60lbs, don't see the point in spending more on live with already having some. I'd have to get more or upgrade powerheads as well.

He does have some live rock in the tank, he couldn't tell me how many pounds though. It'd also have the wet/dry filter, couple powerheads, and heater (he couldn't tell me much in terms of the specifics of the equipment). I also don't know if I'd need to get an in sump skimmer or if I could use my currently. I'm thinking that since mine is HOB and rated for 100g it wouldn't be the best for a 90g and sump. I know that in sump skimmers would be expensive as well on top of the greater expense of the drilled tank setup to begin with. Not to mention moving it would prove more difficult as it would have to be broken down as well.

Yeah do what works for you, I run a hob skimmer on mine cus it's not adaptable for sump its good tho and doesn't bother me. With the 200 one you will have sometime to research and not rush into something.the scraping of tanks can bring me to argh cus I'm like everything needs to be perfectly balanced!

I actually just found another 90g that I believe will be more of what I'm looking for. I've emailed back and forth some but am now waiting on a phone call. I was speaking to the wife on the emails and she said it is her husband that knows about it all.

Anyway, it includes a stand, canopy, and says it has a built in overflow. I'm not too sure about what this means, also says reef ready, like if it is actually drilled or not or how that works. I plan to ask more about that when I able able to speak with him on the phone. They also have Eshopps refugium/sump and then 20g tank that has been made into a sump. In the email she also mentioned there was lighting included that is suitable for corals, I'm not sure what this means and plan on using my LEDs but we'll see, I'm thinking its metal halides. It was also mentioned they had a new pump in an email, that was not mentioned on the craigslist post so I'll have to find out more about that as well.

So for the tank, stand, canopy, and lighting they're asking $400 I believe, craigslist is not letting me look at the post right now. I want to say they're asking $200 for the Eshopps sump/fuge and then $50 for the 20g sump. I'm leaning towards the 20g sump for obvious price reasons. Unless maybe they'll work with me on that since I'd be getting the tank and all already.

Also, this tank is not setup and running, will make it easier to move over the other and is also closer to me.

Reef ready is the way you wanna go that means its gonna have the over flow I'm assuming they have all the plumbing and it's already going to be drilled and have the return lines and all and if you can get the sump canopy stand all tha for 400 that would be good I bought just my reef ready tank alone 75 gallon for 600 then 200 for the stand but that was brand new and I still had to do all the plumbing myself

Wait for a 180 :hide: dont do what i did started with a 20 then a 55 then a 90 then to a 180 (with a 55 sump) :facepalm: Most LFS will drill your tank, mine charges $ 25. The bigger the sump the better You tube is your friend look at how others have plumbed there's And there easy to build using an older tank Think saving $$ the glass for my 55 cost me $11 and $5 for sealant

For the move you'll need some totes and few pails. Are you using the old sand if so your gonna want to rinse it. the fish and coral will be fine for 3-5 days (test for trates daily) in the totes as long as you have heaters and water movement, Fill the new tank with fresh water and watch for leaks better to find them now. No leaks great! drain and refill (2/3rds) with RO/DI mix in salt add heaters and let it come up to temp. add rock, sand then SLOWLY add fish and coral finish filling with old salt water Sit back relax and enjoy Oh and take lots of pics :popcorn:

So..I did end up getting the second 90g that I found for sale on Craigslist. :D

It was more of what I wanted and also the guy delivered it to me, hooked up the plumbing, and helped explain it as he was doing so. I was worried having never dealt with a sump or anything of the sort. It turns out he knows some of my family as well, my brother-in-law and his dad, small world.

Heres a quick picture of the tank

img_2368314_0_dcf0b3a06e61f6a80f336b33fa14fdda.jpg

I also got this sump along with it

Eshopps ADV-300 Advance Sump - Up to 300 gal. | ThatPetPlace.com

img_2368314_1_ff052328cd2d3d40c926a9e0a6f3de63.jpg

The tank is reef ready and with a built in overflow in the left back corner.

I have not got it running yet but I have been cleaning it out tonight. After I clean I plan to run it with just some tap water to make sure there are no leaks and all. It will be going where my 60g is currently setting so this will be quite the process moving everything over. Before I begin to set the 90g up in that spot I've got someone coming over tomorrow to help add in some additional support underneath my place since it is a mobile home. It will be a great deal heavier than my 60g, especially with a 40g sump, so I want to be safe. Once that is taken care of I should be set to begin the move.

Right now I'm using vinegar to try and get what I'm guessing is water stains off. I've used a razor blade on the glass and that seems to be working okay but I'm having problem getting the overflow cleaned off.

Any suggestions there?

When I run it with tap water (checking for leaks) can I add vinegar in to help with the cleaning without any issues?

I about forgot to mention, I also got 80lbs of live rock in the deal as well.

Nice looks like you got a great deal. Yes you can use vinegar when you fill with fresh water it wont hurt anything, and good idea bracing up your floor

Back
Top Bottom