Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-08-2004, 01:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
upgrading tank to 150, need filter suggestions, confused!

ok, I ordered a 150 tank, I took the plunge! Selling my 110 tall I'm gong nuts trying to figure out which filter system is better for my needs. Here's what I know so far...I will have 175 lbs of LR, a black moon sand bed of about 1" maybe 1.5", and the tank has 2 overflows, I have a decent amount of fish I will be transferring after QT each one individually (I had a couple of ich breakouts and I will be keeping them in the 110 until I an add them to the 150 over time) a vlamingi, a pink anthias both about 5" or so, a yellow tank, 3 perculas, and 2 firefish. I will keep my two linkas, and serpent star, I will also have my clean up crew of snails and crabs, cleaner shrimp 2, and 2 peppermint shrimp. I will have soft corals mostly, but will delve into everything except maybe not SPS I haven't decided that for sure yet. I am wavering between a berlin system with an added refuge (or not), and the ecosystem w/ the miracle mud. Which one in anyone's experience is better based upon my tank description? I have the wet/dry with bio balls and havened been happy with it for awhile so I will switch to one of the 2 systems mentioned. If berlin then what brand has been great for anyone?And what brand skimmer if berlin? I have a headache from so much reading and confusion that I can't think no more!

AnnnetteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
2" sandbed, 300lbs+ of live rock, 55+G refugium is what i would filter it with. I just pulled my miracle mud system and replaced it with oolitic sand, best bet IMO but some will defend miraclegrow...err mud. Ditch the wet/dry and pick up the appropriate sized AquaC EV series, or perhaps a Euroreef skimmer. Setting up a new tank is only second to having more kids, enjoy it.

Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 11:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks for the advice now that you have my mind rolling again. How long have you had your refuge as your filter up and going? What kind of filtration did you have before the mud and what made you change the other filtration or what made you change the mud? I really would love to know from a lot of ellow reefers what filtration system anyone has used that has been up for 5+ years w/o a lot of problems. I know from this forum and others that a DSB tends to crash after awhile and I know from my experience that wet/dry w/bio balls is not the BEST way of filtation with a reef. All of you out there with long term sucess with your tank what is it you are doing for filtration? I'm sure there are a lot of us that would love to know.
AnnnetteM is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, suggestions, tan, upgrading, upgrading tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com