Upgrading Tanks and I Need HELP..!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good luck. I've been rushing to get my 150 up and it's been 2 weeks. So much to do and such little time. But I am going to let it sit for a month since I'm adding so much rock

When I set up my tank I rinsed the sand in freshwater by filling up a 5 gal bucket half way and running the hose in it slowly and mixing the sand by hand from the bottom up.

I rinsed 40 lbs and then added 20lbs of new sand and had no problems.

I also filled my tank half way first then arranged my rock ( this way the water is clear) then filled the tank to 3/4 or so full, then I added my sand, then topped off. This way your rock can't shift and gives you a sturdy foundation to start from ( especially if you are planning to add gobys, or anything else that likes to burrow in the sand)

My friend who got me into SW had about 60 lbs fall over in his 175 gal and he is the one who advised me to do it that way and I had no problems with set up at all

KCCO

When I set up my tank I rinsed the sand in freshwater by filling up a 5 gal bucket half way and running the hose in it slowly and mixing the sand by hand from the bottom up.

I rinsed 40 lbs and then added 20lbs of new sand and had no problems.

I also filled my tank half way first then arranged my rock ( this way the water is clear) then filled the tank to 3/4 or so full, then I added my sand, then topped off. This way your rock can't shift and gives you a sturdy foundation to start from ( especially if you are planning to add gobys, or anything else that likes to burrow in the sand)

My friend who got me into SW had about 60 lbs fall over in his 175 gal and he is the one who advised me to do it that way and I had no problems with set up at all

KCCO

Did you rinse all 60lbs or just the old 40lbs then just added new sand into it and then filled the tank? Did you mix all of it together then add to the tank?

Did you rinse all 60lbs or just the old 40lbs then just added new sand into it and then filled the tank? Did you mix all of it together then add to the tank?

I rinsed only the old 40lbs and added it first then just dumped the new bag on top because the old sand had shells and bits and pieces of rock in it and I wanted a soft/clean looking sand bed. After an hour or so I took a long turkey baster and blasted all the sand off the live rocks.

I rinsed only the old 40lbs and added it first then just dumped the new bag on top because the old sand had shells and bits and pieces of rock in it and I wanted a soft/clean looking sand bed. After an hour or so I took a long turkey baster and blasted all the sand off the live rocks.

my lrs owner told me the same thing, rinse the hell out of the sand, and cover it with new sand like frosting a cake and i didnt believe him until now, he also mention using detoxifier for the water is this needed..?

I don't think so. The guy who is helping me said to clean the hell out if it until only clear water comes out. He has some really nice tanks and he told me that's what he did

I don't think so. The guy who is helping me said to clean the hell out if it until only clear water comes out. He has some really nice tanks and he told me that's what he did

so basically rinsing with freshwater kills off all the marine bacteria making it essentially dry sand, then adding a bag of live on top as a sealant, awesome (y)

Yea I've been washing sand for a week

bet this is how you feel, lol

7055867-business-man-with-his-head-buried-in-the-sand.jpg

Lmao. Yea sometimes. But it's all worth it in the end. I basically got the sand free with the live rock I bought

thats awesome bud, i got my sand free at my lrs because i traded my beast of a green texas cichlid in. ANYWAYS today ill be picking up 20lbs of caribsea arragalive special reef grade sand, and rinsing the hell outta my current 40lbs of it, and frosting the cake with the new sand, laying in all the rock and crossing my fingers! could i add a big piece of live rock or not yet..? i may get a 15-20lb chunk at my lrs ive been eyeing for a while now.

Put the rock in first. That's my plan. It'll make your structures more secure. I'd wait a week or two. Just to keep an eye in everything then after that you should be good to add more rock

Put the rock in first. That's my plan. It'll make your structures more secure. I'd wait a week or two. Just to keep an eye in everything then after that you should be good to add more rock

ok but i should be ok minus the new rock to add in my stock within a few hours correct..?

Back
Top Bottom