Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Stlrockguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Springfield, Missouri
Posts: 1,179
Good luck. I've been rushing to get my 150 up and it's been 2 weeks. So much to do and such little time. But I am going to let it sit for a month since I'm adding so much rock
__________________

__________________
Stlrockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Garrett706's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Central California
Posts: 202
When I set up my tank I rinsed the sand in freshwater by filling up a 5 gal bucket half way and running the hose in it slowly and mixing the sand by hand from the bottom up.

I rinsed 40 lbs and then added 20lbs of new sand and had no problems.

I also filled my tank half way first then arranged my rock ( this way the water is clear) then filled the tank to 3/4 or so full, then I added my sand, then topped off. This way your rock can't shift and gives you a sturdy foundation to start from ( especially if you are planning to add gobys, or anything else that likes to burrow in the sand)

My friend who got me into SW had about 60 lbs fall over in his 175 gal and he is the one who advised me to do it that way and I had no problems with set up at all

KCCO
__________________

__________________
Garrett706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett706 View Post
When I set up my tank I rinsed the sand in freshwater by filling up a 5 gal bucket half way and running the hose in it slowly and mixing the sand by hand from the bottom up.

I rinsed 40 lbs and then added 20lbs of new sand and had no problems.

I also filled my tank half way first then arranged my rock ( this way the water is clear) then filled the tank to 3/4 or so full, then I added my sand, then topped off. This way your rock can't shift and gives you a sturdy foundation to start from ( especially if you are planning to add gobys, or anything else that likes to burrow in the sand)

My friend who got me into SW had about 60 lbs fall over in his 175 gal and he is the one who advised me to do it that way and I had no problems with set up at all

KCCO
Did you rinse all 60lbs or just the old 40lbs then just added new sand into it and then filled the tank? Did you mix all of it together then add to the tank?
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Stlrockguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Springfield, Missouri
Posts: 1,179
Sorry to hijack tex. did you have to let the sand you washed dry out before adding or was it still wet
__________________
Stlrockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrockguy View Post
Sorry to hijack tex. did you have to let the sand you washed dry out before adding or was it still wet
I'm assuming so yes, so the freshwater could dry off and it would be like adding dry sand to live for seeding.
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Stlrockguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Springfield, Missouri
Posts: 1,179
That's what I figured but never hurts to ask lol. I've got about 250 pounds more to clean
__________________
Stlrockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrockguy View Post
That's what I figured but never hurts to ask lol. I've got about 250 pounds more to clean
Jesus Christ that's a lot if poundage lol
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Garrett706's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Central California
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
Did you rinse all 60lbs or just the old 40lbs then just added new sand into it and then filled the tank? Did you mix all of it together then add to the tank?
I rinsed only the old 40lbs and added it first then just dumped the new bag on top because the old sand had shells and bits and pieces of rock in it and I wanted a soft/clean looking sand bed. After an hour or so I took a long turkey baster and blasted all the sand off the live rocks.
__________________
Garrett706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Garrett706's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Central California
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrockguy View Post
Sorry to hijack tex. did you have to let the sand you washed dry out before adding or was it still wet
No I did not let it dry out
__________________
Garrett706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett706 View Post
I rinsed only the old 40lbs and added it first then just dumped the new bag on top because the old sand had shells and bits and pieces of rock in it and I wanted a soft/clean looking sand bed. After an hour or so I took a long turkey baster and blasted all the sand off the live rocks.
my lrs owner told me the same thing, rinse the hell out of the sand, and cover it with new sand like frosting a cake and i didnt believe him until now, he also mention using detoxifier for the water is this needed..?
__________________

__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan, tank, tanks, upgrading, upgrading tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.