Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

The bacteria that break down ammonia to nitrate and nitrite are already present in your rock. As long as they are not kept without a food source for too long they will thrive.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I just upgraded from my 150 to a custom 250g . All I recommend is when you set up the new tank add stability and prime everyday for 2 weeks! This will help keep nitrites and ammonia away or under control. Use all the water from the 55 if you can! I did what I told you to do and never lost any corals! My 250 is sps dominant. I have about 28 sps and they all lived. Also acclimate you fish by dripping them before you add them into the tank.
Good luck and keep us informed.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex787
all i forgot to say the sump/refugium that i used for my 55 tank was a 55 gallon custom made sump and i well move this sump to the new 240 gallon tank. wouldn't that make the cycle time shorter
Yes, that will help a lot.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good read. I have a question if I could. I understand not moving the existing sand without washing it (which would make it dead sand). I also understand seeding the new with a bit of the old but....if you are using the existing live rock, wouldn't that seed the new sand? That would avoid bring any nasty stuff in with the seed sand. The new sand, if dead to start with would have no die off. If the rock is transferred immediately it would have no die off. No die off means no cycle right? As long as you wait for a few weeks to add anything new, the BB in the rock should catch up quick to the existing bio-load. The only thing that might affect it is that you lost the BB that was in the sand.

Please, shoot all the holes you can in my assumptions so I can see where I didn't think it through.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99
Good read. I have a question if I could. I understand not moving the existing sand without washing it (which would make it dead sand). I also understand seeding the new with a bit of the old but....if you are using the existing live rock, wouldn't that seed the new sand? That would avoid bring any nasty stuff in with the seed sand. The new sand, if dead to start with would have no die off. If the rock is transferred immediately it would have no die off. No die off means no cycle right? As long as you wait for a few weeks to add anything new, the BB in the rock should catch up quick to the existing bio-load. The only thing that might affect it is that you lost the BB that was in the sand.

Please, shoot all the holes you can in my assumptions so I can see where I didn't think it through.
That makes reasonable sense to me. The issues would center around excess die off, that if prevented should be a base for the system to grow and carry on.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

so i still have to clean of the sand from my 55 tank before i put it in my new 240 tank
Old 10-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex787 View Post
so i still have to clean of the sand from my 55 tank before i put it in my new 240 tank
If you are going to reuse it, wash it completely. If you don't, nasty stuff that is embedded will move to the new tank. On top of that, you will have die off which will cause a cycle in the new tank. If you can eliminate any die off in the new tank, I would think you Live Rock will keep the tank from cycling. Just my opinion but I am very new to this.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Cleaning the sand is a good idea. The live rock will seed the sand eventually anyway.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

about how long would that take for The live rock to seed the sand
Old 10-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Two to four weeks is my best guess.

Tags
upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com