Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Upgrading to a Larger Aquarium

i have a 55 gallon reef Aquarium and i want to upgrade to a 240 gallon aquarium. My 55 gallon Aquarium has live sand, live rocks, corals and fish can any one give me tips or help me on how to move all this to my new 240 gallon aquarium

Old 10-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
I'm no expert by any means- but I'd say cycle the larger tank, then slowly acclimate everything over. You are going to need a lot more sand and rock for the 200+gallon so it will be mostly set up before carrying over the older stock. I'd just treat it like you have a new tank and starting over then treat the old tank like a LFS slowly adding to the new tank. Lol

Old 10-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Wow wht an upgrade!! I just moved from a 55 to a 75, and I thought that was big

I set up and cycled my 75 ( took about a month) and moved everything over from the 55 to the 75 once the cycle was done. I did however purchase new sand, and some new rock ( dont have to get new rock if you dotn want to, but ditch the sand, except use a handful or two to help cycle the new tank) I did use some old rock as well.

I was in no hurry to move, so I took my time. It depends on what you need to do how quickly.. but I would definatly suggest that method.. nothing died and everything is actually thriving in the new aquarium.

Good luck!

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #4

i need to move everything quickly into the new tank. but i what to move everything from my 55 to the 240. i have about 150lb of live rock and about 120lb of live sand in the 55 gallon
Old 10-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is the 240 cycled? If not- u might kill some things.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not to mention the torture of the fish . If it's cycled though, just acclimate everything like you just got it from the LFS.
my 2 cents
Old 10-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #7

no jlsardina the 240 gallon aquarium is not cycled yet. and i have about 4000 of livestock in it. but i need to move everything out of my 55 gallon tank to the new 240 because i am moving to a new house
Old 10-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I would start with moving some live rock from the existing system and start doing water changes, but use your old water to make up a portion of the new water in the 240. If you can run them side by side for a few weeks, that will help immensely. Good news is the bio load from the old tank will be trivial in the new larger system. Easier to move up than to move down...
Old 10-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

you will want new sand. Keep a good scoop of the old sand. Then you can wash it and reuse. Otherwise once you move, move everything to the new tank. You are going to need 200+ gallons of salt water. So I would fill the 240 with RO and add salt, and let it mix overnight while the fish live in the buckets. Unless you have it premade.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #10

all i forgot to say the sump/refugium that i used for my 55 tank was a 55 gallon custom made sump and i well move this sump to the new 240 gallon tank. wouldn't that make the cycle time shorter

Tags
upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com