upgrading to new tank! please help with all equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjpf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I currently have a 55gal tank that's been running for more than a year. However, I am moving to a different state and upgrading the tank at the same time. I have a approx 180 gal tank. (24x24x72) bow front acrylic aquarium. I have several questions!

1) before making the move, I want to make sure I purchase all the necessary equipment for the new tank. That way I can set it up as soon as I get to the new place. What type of light (hopefully leds) do you recommend? There's so many out there that's it gets very confusing. I want to keep softies but in the future I might venture into harder to keep corals.

Additionally what kind of skimmer should I get? My 55gal has a remora but it obviously won't be enough.

The tank has two overflows, one in each of the back corners and two return points. Do I need additional power heads?

Do you think the tank would be too heavy for an average floor?

What's the best way to polish the acrylic aquarium?

And 2) how do I make the move?! I was thinking leaving my sister in charge of the fish for a week or so while I actually move and set up the tank. Then have her ship the fish to me. Do you think there's a better way? I'll be moving about 16 hours away...

I know it's a lot of questions but I appreciate any information!

Hello! I currently have a 55gal tank that's been running for more than a year. However, I am moving to a different state and upgrading the tank at the same time. I have a approx 180 gal tank. (24x24x72) bow front acrylic aquarium. I have several questions!

1) before making the move, I want to make sure I purchase all the necessary equipment for the new tank. That way I can set it up as soon as I get to the new place. What type of light (hopefully leds) do you recommend? There's so many out there that's it gets very confusing. I want to keep softies but in the future I might venture into harder to keep corals.

Additionally what kind of skimmer should I get? My 55gal has a remora but it obviously won't be enough.

The tank has two overflows, one in each of the back corners and two return points. Do I need additional power heads?

Do you think the tank would be too heavy for an average floor?

What's the best way to polish the acrylic aquarium?

And 2) how do I make the move?! I was thinking leaving my sister in charge of the fish for a week or so while I actually move and set up the tank. Then have her ship the fish to me. Do you think there's a better way? I'll be moving about 16 hours away...

I know it's a lot of questions but I appreciate any information!

First of all, AWESOME! 55 - 180 is exciting.

I'm not a light expert so, I'll refrain from speaking definitively. I will say that you should think about getting a lighting system that will allow for SPS in the future. Your budget will dictate how fancy you can go like fully controllable and compatible with an Apex unit etc. I have cheap LEDs but they work...

I'm a huge fan of reef octopus skimmers. Expensive but worth it and since skimming is a foundation for a healthy reef, I say do it. Get one rated for a 300g or higher.

Yes, you should get additional power heads. Aim for like 30-40x turnover in your tank. Again, budget dictates. Vortechs are great but like $400 a pop new. My Jebao's (tunze knockoffs) are $75 a pop and very strong. Larger footprint and simpler controller but functional. If you go Vortech, try to find used ones on CL from a tank breakdown sale.

You need to calculate water volume, weight, live rock weight and the stand/canopy - you may be well over 2,000 lbs. YES, too much for an average floor with basic supports. Have that checked out before you start to ensure it can support at least double the weight. I'm no engineer but, I think that's sound advice.

Moving can be a pain. Are you able to set it up and cycle it before moving the live stock?

I

Back
Top Bottom