Upgrading to salt water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The back compartment is good for hiding equipment like protein skimmer, heater,etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

While those system set-ups are slick looking and convenient, I can't help but think you could get a lot more for $1,000 buying individual components and putting together a system yourself.
sadly like everything else, branding has infiltrated the fish hobby and about $150-$200 of that price is branding. :(

Thanks that's really good to know. It's just hard to get started buying individual parts when I know nothing about them. If I had a list of everything to buy brands and how to set them up I would be down completely

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What are all the individual items I would need to buy? I have connections and can get everything at cost so I'm not really trying to go craigslist when I can get it cheap new.

If you don't know what equipment is required for a basic setup, you probably need to do some more research before starting this project.

If you don't know what equipment is required for a basic setup, you probably need to do some more research before starting this project.

isn't that what they are doing by asking here at an advice forum?

What equipment is needed will vary depending who you ask.
Basic are;
tank (obviously :p)
substrate, 1-1.5 lbs per gallon of tank capacity
live rock, 1-1.5 lbs per gallon of tank capacity
heater
pump for sump
circulation pumps/powerheads
lighting (may be the most $$$ of everything if you plan on keeping corals)

for filtration there are a few viable options.
most will recommend a sump setup employing a protein skimmer
but you can also choose to use HOB (hang on back) type of filters or canister filters.
This is the area you need to devote some time and research to so you can determine what will be the most appropriate for your particular situation.
They all have their positive aspects and negative aspects.
The sump and skimmer solution is probably the widest employed and probably requires the least maintenance overall, but does require extra space to accommodate the sump and equipment that goes into it.

hope that helps :fish2:

:

A quick search of this forum, or google would very easily give you that info. Research is probably the most important part of this hobby and if it's not done at setup what are the odds it will be done later when it's time for stocking?

A quick search of this forum, or google would very easily give you that info. Research is probably the most important part of this hobby and if it's not done at setup what are the odds it will be done later when it's time for stocking?

If folks should just do a Google search, than what is the point of this forum?

It really didn't hurt me in the slightest to type up a response, and I did stress doing further research because there are many options available concerning filtration methodologies.

Personally I think anyone in this hobby should gain a good comprehension of the underlying science and biological process involved. Once you have a good grasp on that, and an understanding of the why's and wherefores of certain methodologies, the rest is relatively easy.
One reason I personally don't like the advice that is simply "do this and that" with little or no explanation of why.
;)

Although Craigslist can get systems at less than cost (people giving up) and you get complete systems already designed, you do need to decide what you want in your tank.

Corals? Or coral eating fish.
Predators? Or peaceful tank mates.

What equipment is needed will vary depending who you ask.
Basic are;
tank (obviously :p)
substrate, 1-1.5 lbs per gallon of tank capacity
live rock, 1-1.5 lbs per gallon of tank capacity
heater
pump for sump
circulation pumps/powerheads
lighting (may be the most $$$ of everything if you plan on keeping corals)

for filtration there are a few viable options.
most will recommend a sump setup employing a protein skimmer
but you can also choose to use HOB (hang on back) type of filters or canister filters.
This is the area you need to devote some time and research to so you can determine what will be the most appropriate for your particular situation.
They all have their positive aspects and negative aspects.
The sump and skimmer solution is probably the widest employed and probably requires the least maintenance overall, but does require extra space to accommodate the sump and equipment that goes into it.

hope that helps :fish2:

Thanks this is what I need. But what I also mean is what brands of these are good. I don't want to get a "walmart" brand. I have been doing tons of research. I just noticed with fresh water I would buy something I thought was a quality part and 2 weeks later it would break or be faulty. I have been doing the research I should have been more descriptive that I wanted quality name brands to research.

That we can certainly help with. But just remember, these are all just personnel opinions. I base my determination on a persons credibility on their time in the hobby and their success. Those with the loudest voices sometimes have the least experience. But when several "old timers" agree on anything, I would bet its accurate.

That we can certainly help with. But just remember, these are all just personnel opinions. I base my determination on a persons credibility on their time in the hobby and their success. Those with the loudest voices sometimes have the least experience. But when several "old timers" agree on anything, I would bet its accurate.

Probably the most true statement I've heard on this forum.

Don't judge one by their post count, judge by their number of posts that do count.

In other words, they may have 5,000 posts, so you think "they must know a lot." In reality, their post may of questions because they are willing to learn, or "welcome" type posts to build themselves up.

I found a brand new nuvo tank on craigslist. If I buy it will I still be able to warranty it if I have any problems?

Back
Top Bottom