Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

as Austinsdad mentioned, they are a strange coral. I have read countless stories where healthy colonies just die for no apparent reason.

I have also heard stories of extremely established tanks that for some unknown reason can not keep Xenia alive. Who Knows...

Old 09-29-2009, 04:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe that "purigen" is at the root of your problem with your Xenia's. Xenia like a "Dirty" tank, by that I mean TDS. The new recharged Purigen removed so much TDS that your Xenia is having a hard time couping.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OH NO!!!!!!!!
My coral banded shrimp is dead! Its not his molt
Some zoanthid polyps are looking bad now too! What could be wrong? Could my purigen have not been recharged right and now bleach is in the tank?

What do I do? Something is killing my animals! I am running to the store for some GAC and getting ready to do a large water change.

Matt
Old 09-30-2009, 02:44 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, don't panic. GAC and PWC is good. But don't over do it. 20-30% change in a day is more then enough, Running carbon is good also.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
Okay, so I did a 20% PWC and added the carbon to my AquaClear 50. Nothing else seems upset. I wonder what killed the CBS? He was just fine before class, then I come home from class to find the fish getting him. (They never mess with him). I also see he is near some sick looking zoanthids. (They are now closed up). The rest of the corals are acting fine. (Ricordeas, hammer coral, ect) The GSP are still looking pissed. (Half opened). Even the crocea clam is fully extended.

Any ideas? I did see alot of this slimy goo (clear) floating in the water attached to the heater and one of the snails shells. I sucked it out and it returned at night. (Sucked it out again).

Matt
Old 09-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like you got it under control. Remember never panic because if you are not thinking straight you will mess it up even more than what it really is.
Good job...
Old 10-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

UPDATE: My Xenias are coming back and my GSP look good as new. I dont know what went wrong, but I suspect it has something to do with the Purigen recharging process. Now I am very scared about using the stuff!

My coral banded shrimp died, and some zoanthids still havent recovered fully, but at least nothing else was harmed.

Any ideas what happened with the Purigen? Everything was fine when running it. It all went crazy after I recharged it.

Matt

Tags
polyp, polyps, star, star polyp, star polyps, xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com