urchin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok thanks for that wat would be the advantages and disadvantages of having one in my tank? i know nothing about them my mom wants me to put one in the tank she saw one in a gift shop store tank in florida ( alvins island) lol

Watch out, they will pick up anything (snails included) and carry them around. I have had a few snails being carried around a few days and ended up starving. I still like them. I have a pincushion and a pencil urchin in my 55. They mostly seem to munch coraline and whatever is on the rock trying to get the coraline.

Check out my images, you can see mine hauling stuff around.

My purple urchin never picks stuff up, I think it's spines are too far apart.

Mine however, did like munching on soft corals (leathers and zoos). It's a heck of a scavenger though...nice part of my clean up crew.

Scott, I love the pictures of your urchin carrying around... a hydrometer! haha

LOL! Yeah, it did that for about a day. It was getting readings in different areas of my tank for me!

my lfs tried to talk me out of buying one because he said if it died it would release a poision into my tank and kill my other fish. wat do you think? i dont have any corals yet.

Um, as far as I know the long spined urchins are the only poisonous urchin readily available in the hobby.

I think they are all Lytechinus vaniegatus, just different colors. I'm not 100% on that, so you may want to wait for some one that can definitely answer your question.

I like my pencil urchin :) Eats lots of algae, doesnt move the rocks around ( so far!! lol) and is interesting to watch. Not sure about the purple ones though, sorry!

Back
Top Bottom