Urchin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thincat

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got out an over grown sea urchin and had to removel some LR in order to do it. What I would like to kknow is "How would you remove an over grown urchin that keeps knocking everything over.
I finally got my urchin into my sump. Now all I have to do is remember that this guy pokes.

How do you remove it? Physically you have a few solutions, one is my fave. You could either use a non-mesh net, a plastic spoon to carefully wedge it loose, a colander, ooorrrrrr jam your open palm over the urchin and pull it upwards. The spines will stay lodged within your tissue for easy urchin removal :)

just like you did...remove the rock he's attached to. it's the only way without breaking all of his spines off, and possibly hurting it.

I remember when I first saw him he was the size of a quarter, now he is hugh, I'm glad he's out \. ;)
The reason I thought he was a good addition was that he would come out at night and eat some of the coralline off the rocks and keep them pourious(sp)

Last edited:
Yes, along with two black urchins that are already in my sump.

I just got two pin-cushion urchins to try to help with cleaning off the rocks in my tank. They do a pretty good job when they decide to go on the rocks but right now they are taking all the coraline off the back wall of the tank.

I hope you have a glass tank because they have been known to scrape deeply into an acylic tank leaving ugly gouges in the acyrlic.

Back
Top Bottom