Urchin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stusclan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a small black spiny urchin on my live rock a few months ago. It seems to have gotten much bigger and has decided to attach itself to my xenia frag. Is this thing eating it? I tried to remove it, but its tight on the rock the xenia is on. What do I do, or should I just leave it?

Mine is about 10 inches across and I've had him for over a year. He has never eaten anything but algae in my reef tank. He will crawl over the rocks to eat the algae but has never actually hurt any of the corals.

Holy cow I've got at least 6 of these that 'hiked on my live rock... they're going to get to be 10 inches!?! Me thinks that will be a bit much for 30 gallons.

Should I remove some now or let them grow a bit & then offer them up to the LFS (and will they even want them?)

Thank Kat - it has gone from the size of a pencil eraser to about 2". I just don't know that much about them. Can't wait to see what it looks like at 10".

There is a picture of it in one of my gallery pictures. His body alone is probably 2 to 3 " across.

I have a large one too, cool creature. When he is hungry, he comes to the front corner of the tank for a nori strip. :)

They grow like crazy. I started with mine about four months ago when he was about the size of a dime... he is now about the size of a silver dollar or a bit larger. They don't eat anything in my tank but algae and have basically starved those fish in my tank that do eat algae.

i have 2 pencil urchins I am thinking about doing something with... they eat so much coraline its not funny...

:(

I just tried to hold a piece of nori on a clip next to an urchin and he walked in the other direction (rather quickly, too!) Have I been insulted? :cry: Is there a way to target feed these guys?

I have 6 that hitch hiked on my LR. The only negative I can say about them is that they are mini bulldozers and will knock over small frags, so I had to make sure all my frags were attached to larger rocks. The second bad thing is that I barely have any coralline algae. They eat it all and eat it fast. I am going to give a couple to some local reef friends in trade for frags. Six is too many for a 120 IMO.

Back
Top Bottom