Urchin and Star Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peculiar_notion

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I have a Pincushion Urchin in my tank, along with a Blood Red Fire Shrimp, a Green Chromis, a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, a Chocolate Chip Star, an African Red Knob Star, and a 4 Stripe Damselfish. This morning I woke up to discover that one of the legs and a small portion of the body of the African Red Knob Star had been (what looked to be) chewed off. Could the urchin possibly have done this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to AA first of all.

IMO the urchin is probably not the culprit. A short Acclimation is usually the cause of starfish that seem to "melt" or fall apart. How long did you acclimate the starfish and how long have you had it?

Thank you for the welcome! I have had the star for about a week and a half, and had a three hour acclimation period. This has me very perplexed AND saddened.

ow long have you had the star and how did you acclimate it to the tank, I dougt the urchin did it, more than likely it is an acclimation related bacterial infection.

If it IS an acclimation problem, could it have taken 1 1/2 weeks to show up? And, is there any way to treat this?

Yes, it could have, and it is probably an bacterial infection brought on by poor acclimation. Can you provide a picture? A clean sharp razor blade and a steady hand might work, otherwise qt and e-mycin is what I would recommend, after it's been confirmed that it is bacterial.

EEP~ a razor blade to cut away the infected parts? Sounds like a job for the husband. I will try to get a photo of the star when it moves from behind the rock. Thank you for your help, BTW...at least I have a better idea of what I am dealing with. I guess a three hour acclimation wasn't enough in this case.

Just a thought....this star had just come into the LFS the day before I got him. Could he possibly be suffering the effects of their acclimation process as well? I am searching for answers.

thats the problem with some animals such as sensitive stars, even if you acclimate them properly who knows how the LFS and their supplier acclimated the animal. Problems will often not show up until long after the supplier and LFS have sold the animal.

Back
Top Bottom