urchins out of control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fualku

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
about a month ago i notices i had a little black urchin about the size of a pea. over the last couple weeks a saw another one and then another one. I looked in my tank today and i have 10. The biggest one is about the size of a dime without the spines. Do these things repoduce like this? Are they concidered pests?

I feel your pain as I have at least two(pea size) that came with my live rock. I can handle one or two but dont want to lose my coralline growth. Just to add to this question - Is there anything to feed them to keep them away from the coralline?

I now have 13 and the biggest ones are now the size of a quarter. I'm going to start getting rid of them. They are cool though. The first pic is not very good but you can count six.

Attachments

• dscf0071.jpg
    dscf0071.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 134
  • urchins1.jpg
    urchins1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 294
Is there anything to feed them to keep them away from the coralline?
Try feeding then little nori strips. I have 4 that have been in my system for well over a year with no issues.
If they do munch a bid of coraline, don't sweat it much. They will poop it out and it will spread even more.
IMO urchins have had bum rap as far as depleting coraline, I think it is much overblown..
Very entertaining animals IMO.
If you are concerned about the number of them in your system, take all but a couple to your LFS, I'm sure they could find homes for them. :wink:

who cares if they eat coraline, all that stuff does is impede the spread of encrusting corals so it takes longer for them to spread. consider it a blessing to have something that eats that stuff.

THats AWESOME...
I have 2 blue tuxes in my tank and don't notice any missing purple stuff, it grows back so fast..
If it's too many i know your LFS will take em..

I went through the same thing with my lr. I ended up with 11. I gave some to friends and some to the lfs. They grow at an amazing rate. I had to part with mine because they would knock over my lps's and the smaller coral rocks.

I think that urchins are supposed to be algae eaters primarily. They might take some coraline, but I think their preference is algae.

I wish I could get cool stuff in my LR. I get worms, and thats it. I have some interesting stuff growing all over the place, but very little for live stock.

Sorry for the little rant, but I'd give them away.

Back
Top Bottom