Urchinsss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0o.Kelsey.o0

Aquarium Advice Addict
So this thread is for someone who wanted to see pictures of my urchins, if anyone has any pictures of their own urchins please share :D

orange priest-hat urchin in nano
img_1319811_0_f5895dc4ae2f875d859ae97662fd3af3.jpg

img_1319811_1_fab4569dc429e9a9a9b388d3c6c045ec.jpg

Urchins in 260 gallon tank
img_1319811_2_b034c5c728df1b3b1773e33f7fce89ba.jpg

Red urchin (Astropyga radiata)

img_1319811_3_c1ebbbc4c4e06d260275b6492b326fa6.jpg

Black long spined urchin

img_1319811_4_aa4531b42a4c90a029e241b0a7a9f51a.jpg

green priest-hat urchin

My question is how hard are they to take care of? I have a 60g right now that is mid cycle and I would love to have some a few months down the road.(6 to 8 ) months.

Very easy IMO, they do grow really fast though, I got all of mine small (quarter sized) and they all outgrew my nano. I don't really ever feed them but sometimes when i put sheet algae in for the fish they get some. They really like the stuff though so if you want to make sure they are getting enough food then that is the perfect solution.

Alright thanks. Also do they have any particular light requirements? I have heard that they need very strong light to survive

Alright thanks. Also do they have any particular light requirements? I have heard that they need very strong light to survive

lol nope no lighting requirements at all. The black long spined urchin actually doesn't like the bright light and comes out usually at night or when the blue dimmer lights are on. The rest are out all day/night.

Mmmm I'd say two, maybe three? Just add some extra sheet algae (elastic it to a rock or something) every once in awhile to make sure they aren't starving.

Just a note urchins teeth can wreck acrylic aquariums and the short spined ones like tuxedo, pincushion, priest-hat, ect like to carry items around on their backs to disguise themselves. They might pick up the odd coral, usually just rocks and shells though.

kms907 said:
Just a note urchins teeth can wreck acrylic .
Hahah dang. I def don't want to look at my tank and see a 2ft scratch across it.. Lol just hearing that makes me second guess getting some.

Well my 60g is glass but when I move in about a year or so I might upgrade to a 120 acrylic.i def wanted to make sure b4 I got any just in case I switch over.

They sometimes will attach coral and when I had them, they also constantly were knocking down rocks. Great detritus cleaner though.

Back
Top Bottom