Urethane clearcoat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfighter

Aquarium Advice Activist
CAn I put metal coins in my tank if I clearcoat them W urethane clear?

I can clearcoat anything but I'm trying to find out if it's tank friendly. Same stuff we use to paint cars

I personally wouldn't risk it but if you do try it make sure to use a coin that has no copper or brass in the event the coating gets chipped. Same applies to a bullet, the brass casing contains copper so it's a big risk in the event it chips or isnt perfectly sealed.

What I have it will not chip in the tank and will be well coated. People use two part epoxy glue in there tanks so as long as my clear is cured out then it shouldn't effect water? If I do it then how will I know if its effecting tank?

I think the guys at "Tanked" use acrylic urethane to encase all the stuff they put into their tanks, so as long as it has cured and gassed off, i think it would be fine.
If you clean them well, and use an adhesion promoter, it should bond well, and not chip.
I finish cabinets, but on our high-gloss jobs, we use automotive basecoat/clear coat systems.
Good luck with it fighter!

What I have it will not chip in the tank and will be well coated. People use two part epoxy glue in there tanks so as long as my clear is cured out then it shouldn't effect water? If I do it then how will I know if its effecting tank?

I'd QT them sounds foolish but it will work as you can test the QT water before you nuke an entire DT and the small amount of water in the QT will show problems before a large body of water will

Back
Top Bottom