Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2003, 03:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

URGENT advise needed for glass top

My glass on the top of my tank exploded today & fell in. I have my glass guy here now & need to know what to do. I bought a MH 4 days ago & he thinks the top got to hot. I did have several holes drilled in the glass. He suggested pyrex but said it has a yellow tint. Will this let enough light thru. I am wondering if I should just mont it coming out from the wall to avoid the high heat.... HELP

Old 12-13-2003, 03:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Smonkey15 Send a message via MSN to Smonkey15
you could try using acrylic for the top of your tank. however that could possibly get too hot as well but youw ouldn't have to worry about it exploding and getting glass pieces all over your tank. and there is no yellow tint. how high off the top of the tank are your lights? you should have them i legs to keep them up off the top of the tank.

Figuring out how to keep my fish healthy is like the pethagorean theorem; there is no solution.
Smonkey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 03:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had it about one inch off the glass. Do MH put off a diff type of specturm because I dont get how it can break if my side glass doesnt get hot.. Do I also run the risk of having the main tank break due to the MH??
Old 12-13-2003, 03:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Smonkey15 Send a message via MSN to Smonkey15
the area closest to the bulbs will get very hot, i think you are supposed to have the mh lights 6-8 inches off the top of the tank.

Figuring out how to keep my fish healthy is like the pethagorean theorem; there is no solution.
Smonkey15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass, glass top

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com