URGENT advise needed for glass top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefobsessed

Aquarium Advice Freak
My glass on the top of my tank exploded today & fell in. I have my glass guy here now & need to know what to do. I bought a MH 4 days ago & he thinks the top got to hot. I did have several holes drilled in the glass. He suggested pyrex but said it has a yellow tint. Will this let enough light thru. I am wondering if I should just mont it coming out from the wall to avoid the high heat.... HELP

you could try using acrylic for the top of your tank. however that could possibly get too hot as well but youw ouldn't have to worry about it exploding and getting glass pieces all over your tank. and there is no yellow tint. how high off the top of the tank are your lights? you should have them i legs to keep them up off the top of the tank.

I had it about one inch off the glass. Do MH put off a diff type of specturm because I dont get how it can break if my side glass doesnt get hot.. Do I also run the risk of having the main tank break due to the MH??

the area closest to the bulbs will get very hot, i think you are supposed to have the mh lights 6-8 inches off the top of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom