Use what I have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a question. The post might belong in equipment, not sure. I have a 150g now. All I run for filtration is a monster skimmer and a fuge with lots of rock. The fuge is 36L x 12W x 18H. It seems to really do the job. Ever since I started using tropic marin water quality has been absolutely phenominal (1 year now I think). So I am now considering a 240wide, 6'L x 30"w x 25"H. The tank will be set high inside the wall. I beleive 42". It will be the wall in and of itself. Seen from both sides. My question? I really don't think a fuge AND a sump is going to fit under there. I can buy an acrylic 65 g sump for 200 and use it for a sump/fuge (most expensive but easiest) or I can buy a 55 glass aquaruim and do it myself (not entirely sure that drilling the glass is even possible though). Or I can add a rubbermaid sump to my exsiting fuge somehow some way (the most economical, but most difficult as well). Anyone been there before that can tell me what the best route is?

Basically it`s up to you and your wallet. All will work. The more water volume the better and more forgiving.

when you get to the level of a 240 gallon tank how much sump do you really need? Room for your skimmer and a place to grow macro is about it I would think. If you have that now, why not use the equipment you have? You are not going to expand your chemical stability much with 50-60 gallons and you'll have to change more water every pwc.

If you go the glass sump route, the glass can be drilled without too much trouble. I drilled a 2" hole in my 40gal sump with a carbide grit hole saw and then opened it up to 2 1/4" to fit a 1 1/4" fitting with a dremel. It took a long time because you have to go really slow ( and I was really hungover) but it worked like a charm.

hmmm, I see. I would use what I have now because I love my fuge to death, but I am concerned with overflow. Right now, when the power cuts off I have to run and check to make sure it doesn't overflow. When I get the 250, I am getting a 2000 gph pump. I need something to handle the added water volume from the tank when power cuts out. The glass tank idea is one I keep going over, and the rubber maid. I also have another idea i have been going over. I have a tall acrylic nitrate filter the gets no use. I can easily convert that into a fuge and the light I have fits perfectly over the top. That thing is made for slow flow. It takes up hardly any room under thhe tank and provides me with 30 gallons to work with. i can incorprate that tapping into a rubbermaid sump. So i have a lot of options. If I can use what I have now, i'd do it. But will it handle the water volume is the question.

Back
Top Bottom