Using a Fluval 403 for Circulation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swiftler

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys I had a simple question. I have an old Fluval 403 sitting in the garage and was wondering it I could hook it up just to add more flow and circulation to my system. I was thinking of having the inlet pipe dropping down in the center back and having the outlet at the top center splitting out in 2 directions. I probably wont put any media in it except for maybe Chemiclean, unless you think that would begin to harbor nitrates.

I just did that with a 305 that I picked up really cheap. I have only been doing it for about a month now. But I haven't had any problems I just run carbon through it

Yeah. I desided to throw carbon in there in a fews days ago. As of now I don't have any nitrates

To answer your question IMO as long as you change it out every few weeks you shouldnt have any problems with nitrates.

Throw some LR rubble in there. Might as well get some filtration out of it if you're going to use it.

No, what makes LR "live" is the bacteria that lives on and in the rock. The light just allows different algaes and light dependant critters to live. It will still be "live" in the canister.

So if I get some rubble from my LFS and put it in one of the chambers, what kind of maintenance would I have to do to the rock when I clean it.

Swiftler said:
So if I get some rubble from my LFS and put it in one of the chambers, what kind of maintenance would I have to do to the rock when I clean it.

Hi I've been running the 306 for a few months without any probs. I have live rock rubble in all 3 chambers. I have no sponges in it, the only thing that is in it is phosphate remover.

Do you take the chambers out and rinse them in saltwater? If so, how often... every water change or more frequently.

Swiftler said:
Do you take the chambers out and rinse them in saltwater? If so, how often... every water change or more frequently.

I clean it out every month with salt water. I'm not to sure if I can leave it longer or if i should clean it sooner. Once a month seems to work for me. I also clean the rubble. Sometimes I get a bit of gunk on my rubble (not a lot) for this I bought a cheap toothbrush. It cleans the rubble up good.

Back
Top Bottom