using a sump for coral frag tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
could i use the small refuge area of my sump for some coral frags? would there be any negative side effects to doing this? the center section of my sump will just be full of liverock rubble and maybe some cheato. i was going to build a small eggcrate rack to use as a small coral propogation area. i was thinking of using a dimmable par38 bulb. im just wondering if anyone does this? it will be much easier to get coral frags to attach on plugs or rubble before putting it in the DT where the stupid snails persist on knocking everything over that they possibly can.

thanks in advance.

As long as the flow and lighting is good then ya its perfectly fine. There's a few people on the forum that already do this.

Most of time what I see is people setting up a seperate small frag tank plumbed into their sump system, but I don't see why you couldn't that with the correct flow & lighting......

how exactly would you run another tank off the sump? i have seen this done but im not sure how. i dont really have the room for that right now. but it is definitely a possibility in the future

Set it up just like a second tank with an overflow & return, and either tap off of the main return pump (as long as it's powerful enough for both tanks), or drop a second small return pump into the sump.......

Just keep in mind that this does not serve as a coral quarantine tank since the systems would all be tied to the same water column, but it's great for fragging/propagation, since no acclimation is required.

I actually started a thread for my 2 new frag tanks and will be plumbing them into my system in the next month but all you will need to do is run the overflows into your current sump and a second return pump in the return chamber for the most basic way to add to you system but for mine ill be adding two more sumps and plumbing it all together for 3 tanks and 3 sumps. 1 sump as a skimming sump, 1 as a refugium, and another just as a return sump.

Back
Top Bottom