Using an airpump ... ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just wondering if it would be advisable to use an Airpump in a FOWLR tank? I use them in my FW tanks, but with SW I'm unsure.

I remember reading somewhere that the microbubbles were not beneficial for some coral, but if the tank is a FOWLR tank would it be better to have an airpump running for more surface gas exchange?

Filtration and circulation Setup will include ...

Eclipse system 3 filtration & lighting
2- Maxijet 900 PH
45 lbs of LR = 1.5lbs per gallon
65 lbs of LS = 3.5 inch DSB

and of course this will be in a 29gallon, so the tank is pretty deep!

TIA

Jermz

another quick question ....

When I put the PH's in do I want them both at the top pointing at eachother, or should I place one near the top and one near the bottom?
Also how should I set the flow on them, meaning if I place one near the bottom should I point the flow towards the one at the top, keep it level, or bounce it off the glass?

I hope this is all understandable ..... :wink:

with an airpump...your have foam on the surface of your water. I wouldnt advise it. Im sure there are other reasons that I dont know of...since your filter pulls water from under the surface it will have no where to go unlike a overflow setup.

Spring hill....a local :) St pete here...Welcome!!!!

Ok. so the foam will build up on top of the water and my filter pulls from underneath the surface it will not pull the foam and therefore the foam just sits atop the water, and that is probably not good. I think I got it. Sounds like a good reason! Any others out there?
What about the PH question, any ideas on that?

St. Pete huh? That's cool .... I have a few friends down that way! Awesome

point the power heads at each other, top of the tank. the colliding currents will create a shifting current that should keep the tank well circulated. A minimum of 10 times per hour turnover is what you want for circulation...and it's not uncommon for people to go up to 20 times per hour.

I have 2 MaxiJet 900 rated at 230gph .... thats a total of 460gph! My tank is 29gallons. Doing the math I estimate about 15.5X per hour turnover?
I guess that would be sufficient then right?

Placing them at the top of the tank somewhat like this ...

+-----> <-----+

+ = powerhead

Now should I point the outward flow spouts somewhat down, up, or keep them level?

Thanks.

Jermz79 said:
I have 2 MaxiJet 900 rated at 230gph .... thats a total of 460gph! My tank is 29gallons. Doing the math I estimate about 15.5X per hour turnover?
I guess that would be sufficient then right?

Placing them at the top of the tank somewhat like this ...

+-----> <-----+

+ = powerhead

Now should I point the outward flow spouts somewhat down, up, or keep them level?
Thanks.

Either or should be fine. Just don't get your sand all stirred up or pushed to the side. Your power heads should be ok pointing the way you have indicated.

Back
Top Bottom