Using Biotopol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wael El-Dasher

Aquarium Advice Activist
I use Denitrol aquarium starter to add live bacteria to my new 120 gallon SW aquarium. On that bottle it says to always use Biotopol water conditioner for full or partial water changes to avoid damaging the bacteria.

I picked up a bottle of Biotopol water conditioner and did a 15 gallon water change this weekend. After I was done a friend read the packaging, which is only in German, and it says it's for treatment of sweet water. Did I mess up? I'm guessing it says sweetwater as opposed to treating salt water as it's supposed to take care of any lead, chlorine and other chemicals present in tap water, which I don't use anyway. I use Spring water which I've tested and found no NO3 or NO2 or Cl.

Should I not use that product anymore and would my aquarium be Ok for now and just take care of it next weekend with the next water change?

Nervously awaiting your advise...

Cheers

Wael

Those bacteria in a bottle products are really just gimmicks. You can establish your bacterial colony without them easily, just takes a proper fishless cycling and your good. I would stop adding the Denitrol and just let your aquarium establish the colony naturally.

You'll still need to use a de-chlorinator on spring water as I have seen some listed in consumer reports that use chlorine to process the water (so much for straight from the source lol). Any de-chlorinator would work. I'd stick to English instructions though.

Thanks Chuck...

Man, all their products have English on the labels...except this one. By the way, I do test for Chlorine in the spring water before adding it and so far haven't found any in the 5 gallon spring water bottles I buy. But you're right, one has to be cautious.

cheers

Wael

I found another negative issue to using this product, it lowered my Ph considerable to where it's ideal for freshwater tank only! I had to add a bit of Ph buffer to fix the problem.

Back
Top Bottom