Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Using copper in quarentine

After a round of marine velvet wiped out $400 of fish, I have become a believer in quarantine. My hospital tank for the survivors is a 32 gallon roughneck trash can. I intend to use this as a quarantine. My question is this- can I acclimate my new fish to water with copper in it just like I would with regular water?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry to hear the loses. Whatever you have on QT you can acclimate the fish with it. If you plan to quaratine with 1.019 salinity you don't need a copper on QT or acclimation. The effectiveness of copper is with a prolonged exposure (3 weeks at least). After acclimation just perform the "fresh water bath" before putting the fish to QT.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I never heard of trash can used for QT. You need light, filtration just like a regular tank. You also need to put PVC couplings for fish to hide and you need to see how they are doing. How would you do that with a trash can for about a month?
Old 04-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

if you treat with copper why would you need to keep them in there for a month. the parasites should be dead with copper treatment in a few days in which they can be sent to their permanat home where they don't have to worry about the stresses anymore.

the main reason for a QT is for peopel to monitor their fish to make sure they do not introduce any sort of parasite or illness to the system which could untimatly effect all its inahitabts, if you see an issue you can treat it without killing off the rest of your system or the fish could die and not spread its illness. if your goign to treat it and kill off whatever its carrying i don't really see a point to keepign a fish locked up for a month
Old 04-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Corals and invertebrate will perish if you treat copper in DT. You need to fallow the DT for more than a month to eradicate the parasites.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah inverts and corals, don't but inverts don't really get parasites and corals you can see the worms on them so they are easy enough to monitor and treat.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a light, canister filter, PVC tubes for hiding, power head, thermometer. I change 5 gal every other day. I also sacrificed a couple of pieces of LR to put in there. The only problem has been not being able to view them well but they have been in there for 6 weeks, eat good and seem fine. By the time I realized I was dealing with velvet, I was just trying to get them out of the display as soon as possible because my fish were dying 2 or 3 a day. I saved a watchman gobie, sailfin tang, long nosed hawk, and a panther grouper. My scooter blenny didn't make it but I was prepared for that because of the bare environment. As you know, salinity will not affect velvet so I will quarantine with copper. It was 3 weeks after the addition of a kole tang that the symptoms started but it took me a couple days to diagnose it.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's a lesson learned from a big mistake. Sounds like you are over stocking and that's when the stress started. I don't think LR is necessary in QT.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

My display is 210 gallons with a 75 gallon sump. Not overstocked, just a fish that brought parasites to my tank. That's why I will quarantine.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post
yeah inverts and corals, don't but inverts don't really get parasites and corals you can see the worms on them so they are easy enough to monitor and treat.
That reminds me of my flower pot cause I think I saw a worm when it started to close. You think that worm is bad?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com