Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2004, 05:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

using electricity to propagate

Just curious. How does a shroom-ricordia-polyp attach to a rock. Does the organism secrete some sort of addhesive from the base or a muscular contraction? I've noticed that when a shroom comes detached from its rock naturally, there is nothing left on the spot where it came from. If it is a muscular fucnction, then I would think that one could use a small electrical charge to detach a mushroom from it's rock. I don't even know if anyone has tried this. Just curious.

Old 03-25-2004, 05:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
ya they make a glue like slim and stick to the rock in a few days. i would not shock it or any thing just let it be. you could glue it with super glue gel or epoxy i you really wanted to

Old 03-25-2004, 05:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glueing most softies is like trying to hurd cats....or kindergartners!

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 05:35 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

shrooms and ricordeas (also shrooms) have a foot like an anemone, it is a muscle they use to attatch to the rock. I don't think I would try an electrical shock, but with anemones if you rub an ice cube on their foot they will let go. Hard to do with shrooms though.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 05:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
but with anemones if you rub an ice cube on their foot they will let go
nice bit of info

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 05:48 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I don't think I would shock anything in my tank.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
with anemones if you rub an ice cube on their foot they will let go. Hard to do with shrooms though.
Is this just hard to do with shrooms or does it not work. I have some pretty big 2"-4" dia shrooms, I could deffinately get a cube under them.

Just curious on the electricity thing. JAT

Thanks everyone.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Glueing most softies is like trying to hurd cats....or kindergartners!
you should have left it at cats lol

found a great idea for glueing softies. you fill the bottom of a bowl with crushed coral you place your clipping in the bowl. cover the bowl with bridal vial. place the bowl in your tank and wait a week or two. the clipping should have attached itself naturally to some pieces of crushed coral remove the clipping and glue the crushed coral.
never tried it but its so logical it has to work. the only problem i can foresee is the clipping might attach to the bowl.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:51 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I have no idea about the electricity, I would hesitate to use electricity in SW for that purpose, probably shock everything else. If you just want the shroom to move...point a powerhead at it, it will move on it's own. As for the ice trick, I don't know either, I know it's used with anemones, but I would think it difficult on shrooms cause of their size.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 10:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
well with the cc idea. i am trying some thing like that in my tank right now. i had a shroom brake off the rock he was on and flying around the tank till he found a spot on the CC that there was not a lot of flow but still light. after it is attacked to the cc i will move him to a rock and he should be able to exspand to the rock. i hope.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com