using electricity to propagate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just curious. How does a shroom-ricordia-polyp attach to a rock. Does the organism secrete some sort of addhesive from the base or a muscular contraction? I've noticed that when a shroom comes detached from its rock naturally, there is nothing left on the spot where it came from. If it is a muscular fucnction, then I would think that one could use a small electrical charge to detach a mushroom from it's rock. :onfire: I don't even know if anyone has tried this. Just curious.

ya they make a glue like slim and stick to the rock in a few days. i would not shock it or any thing just let it be. you could glue it with super glue gel or epoxy i you really wanted to

shrooms and ricordeas (also shrooms) have a foot like an anemone, it is a muscle they use to attatch to the rock. I don't think I would try an electrical shock, but with anemones if you rub an ice cube on their foot they will let go. Hard to do with shrooms though.

with anemones if you rub an ice cube on their foot they will let go. Hard to do with shrooms though.
Is this just hard to do with shrooms or does it not work. I have some pretty big 2"-4" dia shrooms, I could deffinately get a cube under them.

Just curious on the electricity thing. JAT

Thanks everyone.

Glueing most softies is like trying to hurd cats....or kindergartners!
you should have left it at cats lol

found a great idea for glueing softies. you fill the bottom of a bowl with crushed coral you place your clipping in the bowl. cover the bowl with bridal vial. place the bowl in your tank and wait a week or two. the clipping should have attached itself naturally to some pieces of crushed coral remove the clipping and glue the crushed coral.
never tried it but its so logical it has to work. the only problem i can foresee is the clipping might attach to the bowl.

I have no idea about the electricity, I would hesitate to use electricity in SW for that purpose, probably shock everything else. If you just want the shroom to move...point a powerhead at it, it will move on it's own. As for the ice trick, I don't know either, I know it's used with anemones, but I would think it difficult on shrooms cause of their size.

well with the cc idea. i am trying some thing like that in my tank right now. i had a shroom brake off the rock he was on and flying around the tank till he found a spot on the CC that there was not a lot of flow but still light. after it is attacked to the cc i will move him to a rock and he should be able to exspand to the rock. i hope.

Back
Top Bottom